If Everything is in sanchin.....

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

patience is linked ,obviously to attention span ,in a un supported sanchin I can;t turn to kanshiwa or kotetickatai or supplemantry exercises of any order , my constant companion is sanchin .
I have to learn more and more about being self supporting ,sanchin has been supporting me ,and because very few wish to journey this way,in this manner I have to go alone ,I have no other options but to increase both patience and attention span in suit with what as been mentioned .
I will do this .
As mentioned the will can burn out ,plus its a total ordeal ,we understood that the will needed support ,the will had become bow string tight ,patience stepped in to support the will from breaking and seeking solace in support material or any other medium ,we now have a enduring will in spark form ,continuation is possible now ,some relief as entered the picture .

max.
max ainley
Bill MacDonald

Sanchin

Post by Bill MacDonald »

Max,

I understand that you place great emphasis on doing the Sanchin kata. I have a goal of doing the kata six times a day. I try to find the time to perform the kata three times in the morning and three times after dinner. Of course, there are times when the goal is not met, either because of time constraints or just plain forgetfulness on my part.

I don't question the importance of doing the kata fequently to become a better uechi-ryu practictioner. My question is "why" doing the kata makes us better practictioners?

Is there something about the posture we assume while doing the kata that makes the strikes more powerful? Is it the constriction of different muscle groups that make people who have mastered the kata strike faster and more powerfully? Is the way we breathe during the kata of great significance? And if so "why"?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Hi Bill ,
Thanks for your experience and questions with sanchin .
Because sanchin is the life giving blood to uechi-ryu ,I have noticed were more lip service is given to sanchin at the expense of all the other material ,such as do sanchin a few times then spend much more time to other aspects of our ryu .
I don't care at all for that attitude ,I want nothing to do with it ,I want the total opposite ,keep very close to sanchin , I acknowledge the fact its difficult to keep close to sanchin ,this is what my posts are all about ,keeping close to sanchin .
Sanchin training as many sides to it ,but allinclusiveness sums it up ,this is a superb reason to embrace sanchin ,up to this point my main two properties in the posts are ; patience and will ,quite simply without these two , we start avoiding sanchin ,or can only face it in small doses ,now this is fine when we understand we arn't getting enough of the life blood sanchin gives ,and we start to gradually give more to sanchin, but when we kid ourselves on ,we will not develop a sanchin based body ,a body forged in the fire of sanchin ,this is a element of sanchin practice ,to forge a body on sanchin not weights ,jars etc, just sanchin .

Thats the original foundational body for uechi-ryu ,i can see dead easy if a practioner as done this , this will in turn give ryu specific power ,but only if you have the WILL and PATIENCE to carry this out on nothing but sanchin .

Breathing will be different for this specific all or nothing sanchin the emotional state's undergone to stay within the area called sanchin for long duration will reflect ,this effort to forge both the will and patience .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

When I reflect back on power development ,it came from sanchin ,and not seisan or serui etc, etc,I did not develop accompanying speed from say boxing .
I come at uechi-ryu from a very heavy sanchin viewpoint ,now this power and speed always grows with patience and the will to carry out sanchin,but if i spend more training time to kanshiwa or serui than sanchin ,those two kata will be primary and sanchin secondary ,if I say spend about ten mins in a workout to sanchin ,then devote 1 HR to jars or weights my source of strength will not be sanchin at all .
When sanchin becomes the primary it becomes more all inclusive .

max
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Bill , posture is very important to sanchin ,speed and power ,and working knowledge of releasing energy ,this is were fajin explosive power comes in ,a good way is to do as per kanbun sensei and break up your full kata in to explosive well timed motions ; seamless flowing segments .

Working this way is many sided ,it opens many doors that could stay shut .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Making sanchin the primary and not the secondary ,if i cant face sanchin the need for secondary as to become the driving force or primary, yet the illusion can exist were we can totally insist that sanchin is our driving force and thats the primary.
These are the motions i have devoted the bulk of my time to,these are the motions I have and will defend myself with ,these are the movements that come readily to hand ,these are my primary motions .
I was totally serious about sanchin as a primary ,never letting it slip in to second position ,to do this is a severe test .
max.
max ainley
gmattson
Site Admin

Everything is in the basics

Post by gmattson »

Max. Constant reinforcement of essential elements of self defense are within Sanchin. "Unbreakable" arm position, with an angle best suited for all "intercepting" and "controlling" actions. Same is true for the legs. Best overall stance for all phases of movement and strength.

Simple, elegant and very effective.

Thanks for your excellent thoughts regarding Sanchin.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Gem Sensei ,Thanks for your comments .

"Everything is in the basics "
I get black belts from other styles periodically ,who are ref; to me who insist that sanchin right from the word go is a advanced form, they never see it as we do ,they know they have to learn yet still insist its advanced learning ,a higher kata straight away .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Sanchin has various levels or modes that we go through ,my own instinct was to keep sanchin in primary position when and how these elements within levels were met and made conscious ,in other words I expand at the same rate as sanchin ,this is what is meant by "staying close to sanchin ".
I have to put something of myself into sanchin ,yet sanchin awaits me doing this ,this indicates to me I need to change to keep with new levels of sanchin ,if what is really and truly myself and its shallow ,there is a need to fully know and acknowledge this , so i can overcome this fact by avoiding sanchin ,or face sanchin .

Do i face sanchin on sanchins terms and conditions ,or do I tailor them to suit my own.this invites the question at what rate of exposure to sanchin do i wish to operate within to reach new levels both in sanchin and myself.
When we are in avoiding mode we are not as one with sanchin ,but the simple truth of matters is what does" as one "mean .
Well there are various levels of shallow ,and the simple fact is we will not always admit we are embraced within them.

I have said for sanchin to have all inclusive properties ,we should at least see that sanchin should be the[ Primary ] how we avoid this would need to be noted and kept a very close watch upon ,much knowledge of shallow will be apprehended .

max.
max ainley
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Thanks for the posts Max , its always interesting .

Nothing is more important than a strong foundation , Sanchin is a great kata for this .
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Thanks Markus :D

Lets say we did not have a strong foundation on sanchin ,this does not mean we have missed out ,we can top up on matters bring sanchin more and more to the foreground any time we wish to ,but if it was that simple there would be no need for these posts .
I fully realise it is difficult to make sanchin primary ,we might have belief sanchin is all-inclusive ,but belief is still not yet knowledge .
max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

If i tailor sanchin to suit me ,I will defend in most cases reasons why ,yet if I increase on exposure to sanchin things within the mind body spirit could grow at a better rate ,my consciousness may expand within the three ,but the problem is do I expand this consciousness on one at the expence of another .

To engage " as one " will mean a knowledge of the three in full engaged mode .and also one is not miles ahead of another .Do I sense /understand ,keep a check upon this ,or do I tend to kid myself on its all fully engaged .
One fact has now emerged ,I must now make serious attempts to curb the tailor in myself .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Compared to allied disciplines ,inner feelings ,correct directions in accordance with ,tend to be somewhat hazy at times with sanchin .A certain [assembly] by the practioners to what is direction ,is evident in sanchin .

So direction is non existant without "WILL", the method and journey must be building this from day one ,such as " I am beginning to feel this will ,yet running track along side is this tailor ,his favorite theme is to "CUT " time to sanchin .
Will and the tailor are in conflict ,the tailor as a will to not do sanchin ,a increase in exposure to sanchin will illuminate this fact very clearly ,when this is felt sanchin is on a correct path ,now if you think you have got rid of this tailor ,you will find that you are kidding yourself on .
This brings directly back to the concept to " Be as ONE with sanchin " do you still justify this concept to "CUT" by the tailor in ourselves ,the will of the tailor is wily indeed .
Patience can help the correct will ,do we feel this inside? or are we burying head in sand ,very emu like ?.

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

At some point if we don't expose ourselves to sanchin ,increase attention to sanchin ,we will emu like never see this set of inner feelings at odds with one another ?.
sand will be in our eyes ,sort of a self created dust storm shielding our vision ,the tailor in us is very adept at creating this ongoing situation .

From a directionless emu like position ,when we expose our self to sanchin direction suddenly appears .but does this spark of vision read the signs presented to those sand filled eyes ? .
Are you you familiar with this ,"I should be putting more time in to sanchin" well when you do ,think of the tailor in ones self he is putting a temporary stop on all inclusive ness .
What I am now saying is there is more to allinclusiveness than meets the eye ,transforming blind belief in to knowledge is direction .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

The tailor inside creates the emu position .exposure creates the will by doing sanchin ,this comes from doing sanchin and not spending more time on seisan .my will comes from sanchin and not seisan ,I impose my will on seisan .were is your will being developed ?.

All is in sanchin .

Tiger like is this sanchin will ,but the tailors will is its equal and stronger ,do you fell this ? I am still not " As One with Sanchin" I feel this in my bones .

Directions are clear i fully realize I am not as one . I must get back to sanchin as soon as possible ,I must not cut sanchin ,I have reached a state were feeble excuses just don't wash anymore .

max.
max ainley

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”