T'ai Ch'i?

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
Ryokan

T'ai Ch'i?

Post by Ryokan »

Hope this is the right place to post the question.

I just started t'ai ch'i. Has anyone else taken up t'ai ch'i in addition to their regular Uechi practice?

Similarities? Differences? Did one benefit the other? Add a new dimension?
Sochin

Post by Sochin »

While my karate experience has been in Shorin-ji ryu, not Ueichi, I have recently started Chen tai chi and I have finally found the real meaning to developing true power and grounding in the kiba dach.

When I switched from Shotokan to Shorin-ji, it was quickly obvious to me that some of the concepts were superior. Now its happening again, with the kibadach, after 30 years!
Ruiner

Tai Chi

Post by Ruiner »

Greetings,

Before I started Uechi-Ryu I studied the Wu long form set. My sensei had studied in China for 10 years and was great.
I had many one on one lessons which really fast tracked my progress.

Then I met Laird and am learning Uechi. I have found that the arts compliment eachother very well. Both are circular and there are shared moves in the katta's. I found that Tai Chi REALLY helped my grounding and focus on slowing down the motions of Uechi and analyzing them fully.

Tai Chi is also easier on the shoulders and joints, so I find myself performing Uechi katta's in Tai Chi speed to ease the stress on my shoulders.

Tai Chi has also helped with flowing the moves of Uechi together and balance in crane moves.

I still do my Tai Chi set every day, however I think it has been affected by my Uechi, and vice versa.

It has been a great asset to my martial arts.

Cheers
The Dragon likes to twist, wind, and coil. No rules apply; an attack will occur when you least expect it.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

where do you think the soft came from ( Uechi is hard soft)....I do Yang style.the similarities with Sanchin are countless, I keep on meaning to write an article about this :oops: .never find the time :roll:
it will both benefit your Uechi and add a new dimension.you will look at so many thinks differently...you will see how truly profound Sanchin really is.................go for it :wink:
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

I study classical Wu style, with Calvin Chin, the 108 position form. I also study t.c. with Van Cana. I could not do t.c. karate without the understanding I have gained from T'ai Chi. Calvin says that most martial arts work from hard to soft (i.e., as one progresses, he learns to do more with less). But T'ai Chi progresses from soft to hard (after one learns the principles of T'ai Chi, he can explode with fa jin).

A week does not go by, without my seeing a Uechi move validated in the T'ai Chi form, or a T'ai Chi move validated in a Uechi kata. Studying both is like walking around a chess board to see the moves from the other side.

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”