How many include Qigong (Chi Kong) in their training?

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Some nice video clips of Uechi’s David Mott Sensei performing pieces of Qigong practices:

http://www.coldmountain.ca/level0.htm
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Well Tai-chi is chi-kung training...but I also do some White crane chi-kung and some of the more common chi kung exercises.............and I believe that Kata is chi-kung training ( such as Sanchin).....but it's hard to know what Chi and Chi kung is 8O ......I've never witnessed the type of things that chi is supposed to promote like no-touch knockdowns and that sort of thing although I have seen some embarrasing attempts at them :cry: .........but I have felt things happening internally in myself..feelings of trapped energy or nerves being released and relaxing...........is it true, has it happened?.well maybe :lol: :lol: ....wil I be healthier or a better fighter?............who knows :wink:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I've never had any one show me how.

I'm not totally against it, but to be honest my time is precious and I'd rather be jogging or lifting weights that standing and meditation... for now at least.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ben
standing chi-kung can be done in 5 minutes.............i.e. "Holding a tree"
and it will make you feel more like running or lifting weights :wink:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Ben
standing chi-kung can be done in 5 minutes.............i.e. "Holding a tree"
and it will make you feel more like running or lifting weights Wink
As in more energy?? 8O

Or as though I've run or lifted?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

as in more energy. I came in once from work too tired to do the gym so I did chi kung for 5 minutes..then felt energised enough to do the gym
I feel that it's like one of those paper weights with the snow storm in them.....when you shake it you make a snow storm........the chi kung lets the storm settle....calms the mind etc.....also you are using different muscles......which is really what the internal arts are all about. :wink:
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Although Chi-Gung elements can be found in other systems Chi-Gung is an art in and of itself. Chi-Gung trains one to control and move the Chi in their body, or for the Chi skeptics, it trains you to control the inner workings of your living body... Any better Chi haters?

There is external and internal forms of Chi-Gung and it's used for many different things, for health, for healing, for Iron Shirt, and for hurting..

I take it seriously despite the fact that we used to break chops on a couple of guys that joined my school in the old days from a pure Chi-Gung school. Any time they would point their finger we would all duck... :lol:

But as I was taught by those Chinese along the way, they take this stuff very seriously and I have heard over and over that you must be trained by a real Chi-Gung Sifu, not so you will be able to do no touch KOs but so the Chi in your body doesn't get whacked out from training incorrectly in this practice. In Chi-Gung a little knowledge is considered dangerous but the right knowledge can be a life saver.

There was a very good story and I think a book that was published by a man who was dying of perhaps Cancer, he was in very bad shape and very close to death. To make a long story short, with great difficulty he sought out a Chi-Gung Master in China and convinced him to accept him as a student. After only a short time his condition improved greatly and the man lived.

If I were to embark on such as study I would seek out a true master of the art, something I suggest for any art. But for such an elusive art one must do a ton of research and a lot of looking in Chinese communities and better yet in China.. If you find a real one as with other arts, you'll be wowed, rather than uncertain, or perhaps in this case alive rather than dead.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Jim , not the real chi gung ?

not more lineage wars ...... :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate couldnt resist ;)
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Stryke wrote:Jim , not the real chi gung ?

not more lineage wars ...... :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate couldnt resist ;)
Not at all Marcus... ;)

IMO most arts are not well represented.. Most folks choose their schools and teachers based on distance to their house... And the sad truth is that most folks will never experience any real art or something even close to it unless they go and seek out, not just a great teacher, but a great teacher of that particular art.. Chi-Gung is very elusive and obscure and if anyone thinks they're going to get that from "Bob's Karate" out of the local Mobile station, then IMO they are kidding themselves.

When I decided to train WCK I made sure I was close to Manhattan’s Chinatown and I went looking from there.. And I can tell you it can make a big difference... I mean would you rather learn WCK from one of Ip's students or from some student of a student of a student, who read a book, from a student, who lives down the street?

The closer you get to the source of this knowledge in many arts the better are the chances for value; And those who really do get close know the value of doing so.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Hey Jim , I actually couldnt agree more . 8)

Ones got to seek out what they need , and the right teachers .

most however dont want to go to that level .

My sense of humour just couldnt resist having a dig at the Wing Chun lineage wars ...
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I think Qigong strengthens our Uechi.

As for what and how to do it, for Uechi folk George offers a great tape by David Mott:

http://karateworld.safeshopper.com/14/221.htm?610

YOU WILL NOT find anything for that price ($25.00) and there isn’t any better than David.

If you want to pay a little more you can pick up something from David’s qigong teacher Ken Cohen:

http://www.qigonghealing.com/qigong/tapes.html
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

But as I was taught by those Chinese along the way, they take this stuff very seriously and I have heard over and over that you must be trained by a real Chi-Gung Sifu, not so you will be able to do no touch KOs but so the Chi in your body doesn't get whacked out from training incorrectly in this practice. In Chi-Gung a little knowledge is considered dangerous but the right knowledge can be a life saver.

A buddy of mine studys emporor's Long Fist Baugua and Xing Yi.

He's stated over and over again that you have to learn from a reputable source. I've been told by him and others that the books you can buy in the store will sometimes have stuff in them that will hurt you.. all because they don't want phoneys to counterfeit their system. Many times their is a disclaimer in the books that they are only for reference and you should find an actual Sifu.
Ruiner

Close enough?

Post by Ruiner »

I perform my Tai Chi set religiously at least 3 times a day, does that count?
The Dragon likes to twist, wind, and coil. No rules apply; an attack will occur when you least expect it.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

the books you can buy in the store will sometimes have stuff in them that will hurt you.. all because they don't want phoneys to counterfeit their system
In that case I would never study with an individual that would indulge in deception to hurt as they themselves could not be trusted. Most likely a false legend.
Léo
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

A lot of this is Bullschitt though isn't it? :D .........I've heard of indestructable Chi-kung masters having the crap kicked out of them by Thai-Boxers.
It may be true that the closer you get to the source the better and that a diluted style isn't as good as the real thing but that is only half of it...some styles are better to others, and if you have two guys of the same standard but different styles then the superior style will win. with Tai-chi and chi-kung it is even harder to decide.....I was taught Chi-Kung by a chinese lady and it was rubbish and I have been taught Tai-chi by a Chinese and that was pathetic as well, my current teacher is English but is instructed by a Chinese......so go figure :lol:

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”