Goin' tactical

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
zak10w40

Goin' tactical

Post by zak10w40 »

hi George-Sensei,
Hope you are well. I've been playing alot of chess lately and I started thinking about corallaries in the Martial Arts. in chess there are many different tactics used with which to get an advatage -- similar to Martial Arts. One of these tactics is to do an exchange of equal value piece. The reasons for doing this are substantial: To remove a peice in play that is potentially hazardous -- an immediate threat. To reduce the number of pieces on the board in an endgame, which actually increases the overall advantage of the player with the lead on points. To gain a positional advantage, most likel in the middle game. Or perhaps like many things being an exchange player -- which can be frustrating to alot of players -- is your style.

One of things that is overlooked in this type of play is that when exchanging high-value pieces (Queen or Rook or others) it forces the opponet to make a move that is almost totally predictable. Totally predictable moves in chess like in Martial Arts are an advantage that can spell the end of the conflict.
So in a way by exchanging high value peices within your strategy, and with confidence you force your opponets hand into responses that are nearly outside his control.

This can be seen as similar to the "meat puppet" and an opponent reacting involuntarily, or nearly involuntarily to strikes on specific targets. It brings to mind the essential ingredient of risk in effective martial arts -- and it makes me think of the matadors I saw practicing their art in Barcelona and Seville.

Comments?
Regards,

Zak10w40
CANDANeh

Chess mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Post by CANDANeh »

First the opening...Queens Gambit accepted or declined? So many choices but first thing is to get in there and be aggressive (Kasparov lost against Deep Blue because he failed to be himself...aggressive and daring) He was drawn into this fear "Totally predictable moves in chess". However, it not need be so and do not rely on predicabilty in the game of Karate or Chess, but yes were drawn into that trap regardless :(
The knights...ahhh like working the ring, shifting and often erratic...not like the staight right or left of the Bishops or the stead fast Rook
Control the center and you control your opponnent correct?
No one yet has mastered Chess or Karate

Ok...back to my beer

:lol:
Léo
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi Zak..

Post by gmattson »

Interesting post and excellent analogy.

I have a couple of new brown belts that are being introduced to Uechi sparring and I use chess strategy to help them understand basic fighting goals.

Anyone who has any chess experience will appreciate the analogy and will see the relationship.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
CANDANeh

And Zak proves...chess is not for wimps

Post by CANDANeh »

Léo
zak10w40

Post by zak10w40 »

Thanks for drawing those parallels, CANDANeh and the training values, Sensei. I think there are many such similarities -- just as the human body executes strike with more effectiveness and power when position and timing are linked. SO it is with checs. A chess master I know describes a medicore to good player as a "tactical" player and the next level a "positional" player. Interesting......

For a great micro brew try The Red Seal. Hearty brew brewed in Fort Bragg, California -- so the label says.
It is alot like the Northwest ambers that I lke - but a little sharper like an ale.
BioDiesel USA
CANDANeh

Zak

Post by CANDANeh »

Micro brewies are the best, locally one uses blueberries for best stout that ever filled my mug.

The games of J. Capablanca reveal much about the potential of the human mind to deceive and I think he took it to the level many call "chi" ...past even positional. Wizards in the ring are rare (Sugar Ray in boxing maybe??) wizards on the board few as well.
Capablanca was said to have played the devil and defeated him by using his weakness against him...like Kanbun defeating the Tiger :lol:

Capablanca played an interesting two games on a ship crossing the Atlantic against a mere advanced player...He was given advantage of the other player not having Queen and Capablanca lost on purpose, he stated the Queen was a disadvantage to have and asked for rematch with him this time not having Queen...he won easily and stated the Queen has no place in Chess (the opponent didn`t know he was playing the world chess champion)
Sugar Ray Leonard fought a "friendly" match on a cruise ship against a larger faily good boxer but asked him not to touch his face as he was not fully healed from eye surgery, his opponent got cocky and the result was a KO when sugar led him into the corner and sliped out with an array of footwork/upper cuts... (never under estimate Sugar)

I will add the Devils lose in the next post (I type with one finger)...not karate but interesting I thought, humane nature actually
Léo
CANDANeh

Greatest game

Post by CANDANeh »

Playing Chess for his soul against the Devil.

Before the Devil`s final winning move, he asked Jose, "What little deed would you like me to perform before I collect your soul?"

"With the touch of your finger , turn your king into a gold piece with a diamond crown," said Jose.

The Lord of the Underworld silently placed his finger atop the white king. The wooden piece turned to gold and beneath the Devil`s finger a large diamond appeared forming a magnificent crown.

Capablanca looked up and stated... "You have touched your king. Sir. You have to move it. "
:twisted:
Léo
zak10w40

GT3

Post by zak10w40 »

See you across the board, Sir. 8)
BioDiesel USA

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”