Practicing Okinawan karate as an internal art?

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
Ryokan

Practicing Okinawan karate as an internal art?

Post by Ryokan »

Hi guys,

I've always been interested in the more internal arts (aikido in particular), but by chance and fortune, ultimately ended up in Kouburyu and then Goju-ryu.

I see some of the regulars on this forum talk from time to time about the internal aspects of the art, but I was wondering if there are simple practices that kyu levels can use to work on this?

Thanks!
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

Practice your basic movements/techniques and kata VERY slowly. Breath with the movements - exhale with movements away from your center inhale with movements towards. Feel your balance. Visualize the spine as a stack of quarters and try to move in a manner that keeps the stack straight. Feel for the power in the movements; the focus points. Feel for tension that is not right.

Try it, be serious about it. You will begin to notice things...
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”