Glasheen's Asian Arts/Uechi-Ryu Juniors and Little Dragons

For kids who are interested in the martial arts. Moderated by "Seisan Sister", who is 13 years old and a seasoned Uechi competitor and according to her father, a very serious martial artist.
Crystal.Sands.McKinney/Be

Glasheen's Asian Arts/Uechi-Ryu Juniors and Little Dragons

Post by Crystal.Sands.McKinney/Be »

I still have no clue what will become of our class decision with American Family. Christie Grimes demanded at the very last minute during my morning shift I be a part of the kick box demo or what ever it was, I wasn't too polite of what I said to her, but hey life happens. I refuse to be a part of the Puppet Klan that AMFAM thinks they have. I told her I am not interested and that I devoted and dedicated myself to the art I chose for life and that I didn't need any of those little wanna be aerobic martial art classes that are interviewing, then I hid in the bathroom for 15 minutes before it was time for me to leave. She has an attitude towards my comment and Jill does too, don't be surprised I get written up for that too. I mean what I say...WHEREVER OUR CLASS GOES, I GO WITH IT! I taught children of all ages while in Aikido in Roanoke, VA. , it is a passion I have to connect with a child's mind and teach them to learn their instincts responsibly. I am dedicated to teaching the future children in our group wherever we go. We have the best group from my expierences and I am looking forward to sharing that with kids of all ages. My daughter is now 2 1/2, though she acts her age, she knows almost all the terminology for Uechi-Ryu and has her style of doing Kata and 38 special for that matter. :multi:
Life is a series of quests - become your own hero.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Teaching a successful traditional Uechi childrens class is possible.
I'm guessing the center was unhappy with the enrollment?
Need more info on this post to try to help.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Well, Bill and Rich have been teaching Uechi at American family for over 15 years. Amercian Family will be relocating to a newer edition of the company in about two weeks. Two make a long story short after Bill teaching and devoting his time of 15 years with this company they requested a written proposal. Red flags started popping up in my head trying to figure why all of a sudden there was questioning of the material being represented from with in the class. FWIW Bill put a lot of hard work and detail covering every thing as to why we do what we do and explained about the history, etc. Basically trying to let them know this was not at all an aerobic class.
The management might I add is not trustworthy and if you need an answer you basically have to jump all the way up the chain of commands to the owner of the company to get any kind of answering. After Bill put his proposal together which took weeks of properly disecting everything to explain in lamens terms to American Family, he then made 5 books for each manager and one for file. This was 13 pages long and turned out perfect in my eyes. All the Assistant GM did was glance at it and after I asked her what she thought about after she told me she glanced at it she shrugged her shoulders and said "we are interviewing two other groups of arts". I laughed and said' "really what are they?" Ofcourse they are aerobic styles of kickboxing, Taquando (SP)?, and Tibo. Forgive my spelling , my toddler tries to type with me.
Management has this crappy my stuff dont stink attitude about everything, unless you fly in their flock and become their puppet.
I told Bill wherever our class goes I am going to be there reguardless. I have found a group of people that I consider all my family old and new and it is breaking my heart to think that we may loose some of them due to this circumstance. Bill has been teaching for 30 years and he knows what he is doing. Rich and Vicki are black belts, they are also excellent teachers, as well as the brown belts and so forth. My point being.... We are a strong pack and no one understands it better than those who have had a taste of martial arts in a traditional non aerobic setting.
My dream....Is to get a DoJo running. Bill has been non-profit for years because he has such a big heart to get people to not only learn a traditional art but they learn more about themselves and they gain so much out of it on the side.
We are in the process now all of us, are looking for a new home to keep this non-profit. Children really benefit in so many fantastic ways when learning Martial Arts, the discipline, the self confidense, the flexibilty, the list goes on and on. I made a promise that I would teach them though I am just a little White belt in Uechi, I have other belts in other Arts. Children basically teach the adult, we adults just have to not let the children know the power they have.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Well certainly you have to decide to charge if you are going to be covering any rent or paying for space. I'm not surprised a healthclub would be more interested in kickboxing than a traditional martial art. I sell to 9 health clubs and the people calling on the phone are looking for a kickboxing type of cardio workout, which requires little thinking. So this is what they need to offer. Only a huge club with multiple rooms may be able to offer you the space.
With a background in martial arts you should be able to put together a program. Ukemi is excellent for children, basic blocks and strikes, sparring drills. I don't suggest teaching Sanchin to children under 7. I usually start them out with much simpler forms. Also pad work is great. A lot of positive feedback is also needed. Stretching naturally. And 45 minutes to 1 hour is max for children under 12. Keep the longer classes for the adults.
Visit successful Uechi schools that teach kids, I highly recommend doing that if you have any in your area. You might just find a bunch of new adults joining because their kids enjoy it so much.
You certainly are starting with a talented team of teachers.
Please don't be shy in asking for ideas. Seisan sister (actually 17 now) is an excellent assistant instructor as well. I'm sure she'll add some things.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Every little bit helps. I will take your ideas into consideration. We have such an awesome team of teachers and upper and lower ranks for that matter. After being in Ninjutsu for 5 years I was young and dumb and I really didnt appreciate at the time what was being taught to me. Some of it sticks with me which actually tweaks and improve other skills I need in Uechi, then ofcourse there are my foot work and wauke's that need constant attention. I have learned so much in my Journey with this group and I can't wait to see how I have improved in 30 years and how many kids will follow through or at least try under my care.

I really appreciate your insights you have been a great help :D
chef

Post by chef »

Keep us posted on your new classes and whether you are going to do a different kids forum.

Bill will be so happy if you do that. He told me it is a great opportunity, actually gift, to be able to get to know people on the forum and make a mark for karate...plus, you would be in the family.

Keep up the good work, Crys.

Always,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"

Thank you Vicki and as always you have been an excellent Mentor as well as others.

My kids classes start next week. Sunday 3-4pm and Monday 6-7pm Little Dragons, ages 5-8. Tuesday 6-7pm and Saturday 3-4pm Uechi Juniors ages 9-12. I never got to be a kid so that will be my most difficult challenge, although I have my less mature moments :roll: :oops:

Hopefully I will be well enough to get this started but nonetheless, Bill will be attending the first two weeks so he promised anyway. I want the children to get to know everyone and feel comfortable around them so during test time they are not peeing in their pants. Comfort is important for a child esp. during something being taught to them.

Thank you too Fred! It was a true honor to view your teachings at camp. Your energy is amazing!

Sterling had such a great time I could not even walk away to go venture into other classes. You guys gave him the courage to want to beat Bridget next year in the mile run and he even told her that he would. 9 year olds are so funny. He has been weight training with Daddy Bill and his Mom and Brother ever since camp. I can't wait to see what next year brings.

You gave me lots of inspirations and ideas of things I can work on when I establish a group of kids. I right now only have two but that is a good thing in my book so I can give them more quality time in teaching. I will be teaching them Uechi and also a few other arts up my sleeve. The goal is to survive and when it boils down to that there are no rules but to walk away alive.

I am going to be purchasing rolling pins for the kids for conditioning, feel it is safer then contact. My hopes are by this time next year to have established a consistent group of kids and pray that even if they don't stay that they remember to listen to their instincts and keep a hold of them. As we adults and teens learn to ignore them until we become parents. Life gets to us and makes us forget the important stuff.

Will keep you posted each month if possible.

Thanks again guys your encouragement goes a long way!

Return to “Kombat Kids”