kids conditioning.. yes or no??

For kids who are interested in the martial arts. Moderated by "Seisan Sister", who is 13 years old and a seasoned Uechi competitor and according to her father, a very serious martial artist.
seisansister

kids conditioning.. yes or no??

Post by seisansister »

:D Heyyy its seisansister. I gotta new topic for y'all. okay.. kids arm and leg conditioning.. what age is a good time to start? Parents worry about there kids gettin hurt, but is that actually an issue or not?

Is conditioning dangerous for kids? If i was a sensei i would prolly start conditioning my students when they get a yellow belt. That way, they wud be a bit more mature (hopefully.. hehe) and they wouldnt hurt eachother and might take it seriously.

tell me what u guys think..

Seisansister
karateka_alex

Post by karateka_alex »

Depends on the type of conditioning...
I think the only thing that kids shouldn't do is the makiwara training just yet...
Jars, Forearm & Shin conditioning, Sanbon Kumite
should be alright...
Lifting Weights, Makiwara, Hand Conditioning shouldn't at this age...
And no Jujutsu should be done with 8 - 15 because kids are still growing...
at leasts that's what I think...
W.J.C.

Post by W.J.C. »

I say no . . .

No arm pounding, leg pounding, or any other kind of repeated pounding to the body.

It could be more harmful to the growth of the kid than good to the toughening up of the kid.

They should be guided as how to not injure themselves when blocking or striking obviously, but their "conditioning" should come from the experience of trial and error (ex. sparring, kumite, or just good old fashioned horse-play).

Return to “Kombat Kids”