Historic US (Scotish) Pistol in Jamestown

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Dana Sheets

Historic US (Scotish) Pistol in Jamestown

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/07 ... index.html
RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Sometime around 1610, archaeologists figure a thirsty colonist put his brass pistol on the side of a well as he pulled up some water and accidentally knocked the weapon in.

It is conjecture, but it is one explanation for a cache of rare finds they fished up Tuesday from the bottom of a 400-year-old well at an overlooked corner of Historic Jamestowne, a national park.

The items included the Scottish pistol, a man's leather shoe and a small lead plaque reading "James Towne" -- the equivalent of a colonial luggage tag.

Outside Indian artifacts, the items are among the oldest ever unearthed in North America.
Finds included a halberd, a 17th century ceremonial staff often carried by military sergeants; a hammer; and an intact ceramic bottle called a Bartmann jug or a "bearded man," which was made in Germany and could date back to 1590, Kelso said.
Did you show compassion today?
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

If it was brass it must have been in pretty good condition.

In my town they have the oldest meeting house in North America still standing. They recently found an original door in the wall which is the only door from that century known to exist.

I've seen some family wills from the late 1600's and a pistol was probably the thing of most value they posessed. Must have been awful watching that fall in, not only the value but also the protection it afforded.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Historic Finds

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi Dana And Fred:

There have been a lot of historical items and clues found in the Jamestown Area.

Perhaps the finds will continue.

Examples:

A human skeleton showing tremendous development to the right wrists indicated that the man was a swordsman

The Helmet of an "aristocrat" and a Steel corselet, both of which date from the 17th century and both of which were well preserved because the artifacts were tossed into a pond and preserved in the muddy bottom.

The point being, in this case, that armor may have been in more use in the fight against the local inhabitants than previously thought.

I do not get notifications that I have posts or replies placed, so I apologizw for my oftentimes unpredictable responses.

Also I was setting up this newer computer.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”