.22 magnum autoloading rifle

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Van Canna

.22 magnum autoloading rifle

Post by Van Canna »

John,

What is the best one to get?

Thanks_
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Hey Van I wouldnt look past the Ruger
JOHN THURSTON

Gosh

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

You got me. Where there are several choices for .22 autoloaders, not many are chambered for WRF Magnum.

As suggested, the 10/22 Ruger is never a bad choice regarding the standard rimfire. Remingtons 542 is the best choice in the standard rimfire in terms or fit and finish, and good for those whose like a tubular feed, but it is pricey. However, it is a bit long in the pull, but I seem to recall that you liked this.

My .22WRF's are a 77/22 Ruger and a 94/22 Winchester. As you know, the latter are not available new at this time.

Ruger has not made a run of the 10/22 in WRFM for quite a while.

I will get back to you you on this in an hour or two.

John
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
JOHN THURSTON

further info

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Henry Makes a 22 wrf (lever) which is smooth with good fit and finish and it is available.

Marlin Does not make their autoloader in 22WRF, but they do make model 717M2 in .17m2, which I have not tested. I will get some info on the cartridge at least.

Marlins are generally well made. But the Highest quality Marlin is the Model 39 lever gun --again .22s,l, and LR only.

Marlin offers a Bolt .22WRF, but I have not tested this.

Remington Offers Model 597HBLS in semi auto in .22WRF. Clip Fed.

That's it pal. At least there is one available for you to try.

Generally Remingtons are ok. My 22. LR is nice.

I bought the Winchester 94/22 in WRFM because I had heard they were going to be GONE.

What a shame.

JT

Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks JT. :)

I followed Stryke's advice and ordered a Ruger. Will be here in two weeks.

I do like the 10/22 look and feel. I used to own their .44 mag carbine.
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Van you wont be dissapointed , I had one and could never fault it , perfect ergos , reliable , accurate , and just plain fun .

I had a couple 50 round mags for it , great fun plinking .
8)
JOHN THURSTON

Good Choice

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

You really can't go wrong buying a 10/22.

It was my impression the it was difficult to find in the Magnum.

In this case I am glad to be wrong.

As I said I own the 77/22 in .22 Magnum.

A good Companion for the 10/22 is, of course, the mini 30. They feel the same. I think the 7.62 X 39 is a bit lite for deer, but the Mini-30 shoots OK with the right ammo.

JT
JOHN THURSTON

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Sensei Van:

Did you receive your Ruger and mount the scope yet?

I would be interested in what you.

I purchased a BSA 1.5 to 4,5x. "Catseye"

The optics seem clear and bright.

If I was to give a guess I would say that the 1.5x to 4.6x and 3-9x are based on the same tube as the former is a bit overlarge.

By the by, BSA stands for "Birmingham Small Arms".

BSA manufactured a bolt action and complete bolt action rifle for "Herter's" It was the highest grade the offered.

The lower grades were "Santa Barbara" Mauser which appeared to be M98 clones similar to the Czastava (CZ) "Star" action or mid 60's Browning/FN actions.

Brownings newer Bolt, the A bolt, is of a different design. I had one, didn't like it, and sold it. I can't review this action just now. It was/is of Japanese manufacture.

As another aside, the motorcycle Steve McQueen rode in "The Great Escape" was a BSA, or so i am told. Like Husquavarna (Sweden) they manufactured products for many markets.

Smith & Wesson put their name on Rifles at one time. These were (two action types) manufactured by Husquavarna.

A lot of the above is information from another lifetime.

JT

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”