Invasions/Burning of Toronto

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Invasions/Burning of Toronto

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

The US invasion of Canada is pretty well forgotten.

As is the taking of the French fortress at Louisburg in the French and Indian war (1758), mostly by British Infantry with the Help of American Rangers.

Louisburg was deemed untakeable.

I will reclaim more info on both if I can get to it.

Once I have read something on a battle, it comes back.

So I guess there are plently of American Graves in Canada.

Plenty of British Graves in America.

Plenty of both in all kinds of almost forgotten places.

It should be noted that neither are mentioned in the voluminous "History of the American People" by Paul Johnson.

More later.

Thanks

JT
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Tao_in_the_Mountians

Re: Invasions

Post by Tao_in_the_Mountians »

JOHN THURSTON wrote:The US invasion of Canada is pretty well forgotten.

JT
The invasion of Canada? By this are you referring to the war of 1812.
York, Ontario being the first capital of Canada was invaded by the US. This is the reason why our capital is Ottawa now. As well I believe that some British folk came down and burnt down the west wing of the presidents house (at the time painted grey), upon renovations it was white washed and got given the name the white house.

That's pretty much what I can recall from grade 10 history class about that conflict.

As for Fortress Louisburg, I can't recall the history of the British conquest. I didn't know that they had help from the American Rangers. I just figured that it was souly a navel battle being the fort over looks the Atlantic. I do know that it was an important location for the French to hold, it being the sentry to the entrance of the St. Laurence. Halifax being the look out for freanch ship's sailing from Louisburg to Boston.

Now I'm curious... if you find out more about either please post.

Amos
Fight with honour, Die with Pride.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/siege1745.htm

To know where your going you must know where you came from.
History...my favorite subject in school as we visited these places. Louisburg was a class trip never forgotten.

http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/siege1758.htm
Léo
JOHN THURSTON

Burning of Toronto?

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

No, Loiusburg was far from being just a sea Battle.

Since there is obviously an interest, I will detail "Louisburg" but since I never had heard of the burning of Toronto, but had heard of the Raid on York and Zebulon Pike, around I dug around a bit..

In response to my Friend Fred's questions, we previously addressed the incursions into Canada which took Place during the Revolutionary period.

Americans always point to "The Star Spangled Banner" (written by an attorney negogiating an exchange of Prisoners) the Burning Of Washington and , dare I say it, the 1813 Battle of New Orleans, which technically took place after peace had been declared.

As noted, the first incursions into Canada from the US did not occur during the War Of 1812.

The 1812 incursions, it appears, commenced with 'the only army at hand" that of ' an avuncular hero of the Revolution, William Hull' located at the wrong place" the western frontier Post of Dayton Ohio"

i am going to skip forward a bit and mention that, at the time, what is now Toronto was referred to as "York":

The politics of that time are very confusing.

After some persuading the second (following Hull's) invasion of Canada was headed by one Henry Dearborn.

The preferred target perhaps should have been "the main British base at Kingston"----"the military importance of "York" was close to zero".

Nevertheless on "April 26 (1812) Brigadier General Zebulon Pike led 1800 men---'and " took the Town by storm."

"The few, small drab public buildings (sounds like present day downtown Whitehall) were burned by American troops, but the retreating British were responsible for a more important piece of arson, they torched a 32 Gun Frigate and a horde of naval stores".

This invasion, it seems, was only a raid.

Hull had earlier suffered an ignominius defeat dubbed by the author: "the biggest capitulation between the Revolution and Bataan".

JT
Tao_in_the_Mountians

Post by Tao_in_the_Mountians »

Wow, so much great information above, thank you both.

I just found a web site on the War of 1812. It highlights each battle.

http://www.historycentral.com/1812/

Amos
Fight with honour, Die with Pride.
JOHN THURSTON

Thanks

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

It is more than just a pleasure to help you.

I will dig for any answers I can.

Louisburg was an interest affair. ONLY my history teacher could have made it so memorable to me.

American Rangers also took part in the Occupation of Quebec after Montcalm's defeat.

The Colonists made much of their efforts. The Colonies were already spoiling for a fight.

Canadians in general and Quebecois in particular had little love for the British.

I think they were waiting to see what happened.JT

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”