New Wave Knives and other Blades

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

New Wave Knives and other Blades

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Rich has nicely volunteered to post pictures of two of what I call the new wave of blades .

The two are made by Kershaw and Are marked " Made in USA".

Both seem like traditional "lock back knives", but they are not.

There an attachment to the blade of each which projects out of the back of the knife when closed.

Also, a portion of the knifes supporting structure (the left side if you are looking at one "back" up and "top" up) which is not attached a the top of the knife.

The combined effect of "finger assist" and the desire of the left structure of the knife to spring in and push the blade out of the way results in a knofe that opens very fast with one hand.

They are not switchblades under Mass Law. (no 'button or springs")

The models bear no names. The first i simply call "Black Phosphate Utility" and the second "Rainbow Anodized" as it appears to change color.

Both knives have safeties to prevent accidental opening.

Thank you Rich.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Fill in the data John.
Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I have a Kershaw, nice knife.

Those look interesting John. Did you get them online or at a local knife store?

P.S. What time is your Thursday class so I can visit sometime when I take a Judo break. It's not listed on your website.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Yeah the Kershaw blades are very fast openers .

I wonder how the laws also pertian to waved blades like the Emersons and spydercos .

JOHN THURSTON

New

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

The first three Pictures are of the Anodized Rainbow.

Finger assist makes the difference. It projects from the back spine of the knife when closed.

One places the knife point forward, spine up, in one's palm and presses back on the assist, which is an integral part of the blade.

The finger and the bottom frame of the knife thus assist in the one handed opening of the Blade.

As noted, these are not like traditional lock backs.

Beautiful knife Stryke!!

After placement in the palm, finger out of the way of the back of the opening blade, the knife swings(rapidly) open.

Thus far these remain legal.

I see no reason why any design based on the traditional lockback would be illegal.

The safety on the "rainbow anodized" is located on the rear side of the knife's outer structure. That of the "Black phosphate Utility" on the spine abaft the finger assist extension. One can make it out on the first picture.

There are many variations by Kershaw on the former, in size and materials used in the outer case of the knife.

They are available at my dealer's store. I know this will be of assistance to Fred at least as the dealer is not far off.

i have not seen them online, but i haven't looked.

One can understand why a legal one hand opening operating knife could be a blessing.

If an anchor or lobster set is trying to pull you over by one hand when you are alone is perhaps an example.

Sheath knifes meet the needs of such a situation, but for 'other' situations, these 'new wave " knives do offer increased concealabilty.

Let me go back through the thread now and see if i have covered everything.

Thanks again Rich. (photos only by webcam, sorry, it was quicker.)

Jt
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JOHN THURSTON

Class

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Fred:

The Thursday class and rhe Tuesday class are at 6:30.

Being a bit late is not a problem.

Due to my illness and variations of contusions and dislocations, I cannot take too many falls and Judo applications are in the hands of one of my students with Judo experience.

Hope to see you and Ihope to visit.

JT
gmattson
Site Admin

John..

Post by gmattson »

what about length of blade? You mentioned a knife that should be legal, but the blade looks longer than 3 inches.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
JOHN THURSTON

Blade length

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

A standard knife single edged knife in Massachussetts is not illegal if it is over 3" as far as I can determine and is not double edged.

I deny having any daggers or dirks in my collection..

Lockbacks are in a grey area.

Finger assisted knives are in a grey area.

Nunchakus are forbidden.

Dern, even the Okies got away with owning them during the repressive period of the Satsuma Clan.

Remember, Massachusetts is a State in which no private person can run a lottery or other game that is not partially somehow based on skill.

The Commonwealth can run a Lottery.

I don't believe in that.

Somehow Bingo in churches ends up exempted.

I represented some gas stations giving out gas to folk who won it strictly on chance.

If you can imagine it in these days when the Boston Police Department states it cannot control the Streets of Boston because of the number of armed gangies running around; they still have a detail enforcing the lottery ban.

I had to advise my client that he could not give away gas in this fashion.

It's more than unjust, inequitable etc etc, it's NOT SANE.

The flippin' Goverment can do something you can't, something it was not intended to do, something well beyond anything the founding fathers considered when they established a government to provide for the "Common Defence".

Being a lawyer (retired) lets you see the INSANITY. It's tiring.

So to be completely safe, take your shoes off before you defend yourself, for heaven's sake don't defend yourself if you can escape, and definitely don't take a shot at the criminal who has just mugged you but is exiting the scene.

Fortunately, the Governor who 'dumped the Duke' and who has just passed away made sure that the retreat doctrine, an insane notion and an example of what legisltors can do, does not apply to one in one's own house.

Some subjects set me off.

JT

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”