This Month in History

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

This Month in History

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

"26 October 1902-Tom Horn is found guilty of the Murder of 14 year old Willie Nickel in Cheyenne, Wyoming

29 October 1901-Buffalo Bill Cody's 'Wild West Train' collides with another train near Lexington Kentucky------among the injured is Annie Oakley, she claims the Accident turned her Auburn hair white overnight. It will take her 2 years and 5 operations for her to walk again"

Yes, she actually existed. Yes, she was as good as the stories tell, but that was the end of her career.

Source: "The Cowboy Chronicle-Monthly Journal of The Single Action Shooting Society"

Now this is Western History. I have to reinvestigate her favorite firearms.

"20 October 1600, victory at the Battle of Sekigara Made Tokigawa Ieyasu Master of Japan, Ending a Long Power Struggle and bringing about the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Isolation of japan from the Rest of the World"

It will be interesting to try and cross reference this with Okinawan History. How did the 'Satsuma" clan acquire the strength to occupy Okinawa during this period, where power seemed centralized.

Source: www.Ospreypublishing.com.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

it seems "Last Samurai" was based upon the Satsuma who rebelled against the new Meiji Restoration. Judging from this.
http://www.taisho.com/satsuma.html

I don't think they were a powerful group during Ieyasu's time. Part of a larger army more likely.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Satsuma

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I appears you would be correct Fred San.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”