Air technology

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

f.Channell

Air technology

Post by f.Channell »

It has just struck me funny recently how in the span of my grandfathers youth to now the rapid speed of aviation.

From this in his WWI days.

To this today.

And not to mention the tiny silent radio controlled aircraft they are using I saw last night on scientific America.

The span of a couple of generations, amazing really.

What wonders will my grandchildren see?

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

RPV's

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

The first plane is it a Nieuport or Camel?

Ok Nieuport type 11.

Well, at a minimum, at least the US, Iran and Israel use and have the technology for Remotely Piloted Vehicles.

It was interesting to note the one reporter asked of his guide in Beirut during the 30 day war "What's that buzzing" the answer was of course "Isreali drones".

I don't know if that is the type of thing your are envisioning.

We know A-Hawk technology was transfered to Iran in the Iran/contra affair.

I am not a scientist (test tube buff?) so I can only assume that that included a great deal of insight into minaturization.

I never doubted Olly's base loyalty, courage or ingenuity.

After all it was he who was aboard the Hawkeye that jammed the radio frequencies up and down and, with the help of two F-14s, forced the landing of the "Achille Lauro"'s hijackers (does it never end) in Sicily I beleive.

But A Hawk technology to the Iranians??

A lack of judgement.

Despite his pardon, the charges stand on his record.

He will never carry a gun or get another security clearance in the US.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

They were little drone like aircraft shot off by compressed air and driven remotely. They had different capabilities such as infrared and night vision.

Easily used to scout out the enemy ahead. They made almost no sound and resembled birds or bats in flight. very difficult to shoot down even if detected. Weighs mere ounces.

Although the size of a paper airplane they had full computer capability of some sort.

Watch for the show on PBS. It was on Scientific America, hosted by Alan Alda.

I imagine they've been in use or they wouldn't be on the show.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Here's alink with more info and pics of the aircraft I mentioned.
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1109/segments/1109-3.htm
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Yikes

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I guess those would be a serious improvment in what is presently in use.

The novel "Choosers of the Slain" is a military futuro epic about a Stealth destroyer.

It had all kinds of capabilities--ASAT, RAM, CWIS, Advanced Sea Sparrow (AMRAAM_AIM-120 modified) drones, SLAM, Advanced Aegis (tell me what Aegis means----no fair looking it up!!! I'll send $10 to the first to post it if they swear they didn't look it up) a hose system called "Wetball" to hose down the ship as anti infrared, Twin Oto Melara, Advanced Harpoon, Standard, VLS, Naval AH-60 Lamps and Tomahawk----so you can just imagine how JRT liked reading it. I swoon just thinkin' on it!!

The commander is a woman and my favorite line from the book was about her having to up anchor without the OH Perry that was in town, but busted: "going tactical with a Perry would have been like doing ballet with concrete boots"

Obviously Fred I agree that drones will play a huge part in future operations.

How is the range on the ones you mentioned?

Oh alright I'll follow your link.

Boy I hate following links.

Followed the Link. I had no idea Mars did not have a magnetic field.

The military is NOT gonna like those small ones--they're---well--SMALL.

In response to the original post the Nieuport 11 was one of the first true Fighter Aircraft, despite the 'inconvenience' of having to reach up to fire the Lewis Gun. The gun layout was changed (wasn't aware of that) in later Marks.

Boy those later Marks will get you every time.

This aircraft was the first to be flown, allegedly, (OK I looked it up) by the Lafayette Escadrille. I do not recall exactly but I think by the time our WWI Ace Eddie Rickenbacker got there they had upgraded to a later Mark Nieuport or the TOTALLY awesome S.P.A.D..

jt
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Those little drones are just for intelligence gathering. But one could see their use with biological weapons, if it ever went there.

The Mars aircraft was very interesting as well.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”