7.62X39 & 5.45X39

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

7.62X39 & 5.45X39

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Laird:

I have a stock I keep of these rounds made by Wolf.

I have not been informed of any difficulty in obtaining this ammo.

They did manage to regulate the steel core Chinese stuff (terrible stuff anyway) out of country on the basis that is was armor piercing.

Even US AP M2 Ball (not called m2 ball technically) is not longer legal to have and the CMP no longer ships it.

My last big purchase of Ammo was of .30 M1 Carbine, 7.62x51 Nato (.308 Winchester as I am sure you know) Lake City (LC1979) Match and .30M2Ball all from the CMP-formerly theDCM.

Yes-we actually had a Department of Civilian Markmanship whose job it was to cultivate Civilain Shooting while other departments were trying to shut ammo and Gun Sales down. (sorta like trying to stop people smoking while tobacco subsidy programs were in effect. In fact I cannot say for certain that tobacco subsidies have been shut down)

last I checked they still had m-1's.

I was told, as I related to Sensei Van, that the 7.62x51mm 'foreign' military surplus was not available.

WCC and RP both make 7.62 Ball at reasonable prices.

PMC and Hansen also made 7.62x39, but I believe that those sources may have dried up as well.

Hansen was Yugoslav and I will inquire about PMC.

Given recent history in the former Yugoslavia the source MAY have been the reason it disappeared.

This conclusion is only and educated guess.

I just spoke to Wolf and they indicate no problem regarding supplies in the US.

JT
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Even US AP M2 Ball (not called m2 ball technically) is not longer legal to have and the CMP no longer ships it.
I do not believe that to be correct unless the BATFE made a recent change to the rules. Only 7.62 NATO AP is specifically stated as not legal for civilians.

There was quite a bit of Portuguese 7.62 NATO available at gun shows recently, as well as South African, both of which are pretty good rounds.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
JOHN THURSTON

Correction

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Rich:

Thanks for the correction.

It certainly has been a very long time since I have seen any AP.

I will certainly run a check with my dealer friend and BATF (assuming they know) Boston. I don't want to be spreading misinformation and I apologize for winging that.

On the battle packs, i was told by my dealer that they were not able to acquire battle packs right now, not that it was illegal.

I think that my friend's sources may be limited.

One reason me given for banning (the import of and not the ownership of)Chinese Steel core 7.62X39---the steel core hitting rocks started brush fires(sic?)----.

i did actually, however, talk to Wolf about their stuff and they did not know where I got the notion their ammo could not be imported.

Perhaps in Canada----?

JT
JOHN THURSTON

AP

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

My dealer was not even aware that the7,62 AP was 'banned" and the person I talked to at BATF was not helpful.

I will have to talk with their Technology Dept.

JT
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

John: The regs on AP ammo are on page 165 0f the BATFE's 2005 reference guide. M2 ball AP is not listed. Also, 5.56mm NATO or SS109 with the steel penetrator core is not listed. Only 7.76mm NATO! The file is too large to send you but if you go to the BATFE site you can download the guide in a PDF file.

I am not surprised that the BATFE agents do not know the rules. Too much effort to look them up I guess.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
JOHN THURSTON

Thanks

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Thanks Rich:

Always good to have your knowledge on hand.

I assume Laird is in Canada, so what I may say may not be what he has to deal with.

John

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”