Oops #2

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Oops #2

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

It was noted and passed on to me by a friend, because I have never been to our WWII Monument that President Roosevelt speech was not quoted in the inscription thereon, in its entirety..

I will not recite the entire speech, unless you wish me to.

The deleted words were the last four: ------and we will win the inevitable victory "so help us God".

Ultra PC strikes at the heart of our history!!

What do you make of this?
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Thu May 17, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

I do not know the speech quoted either, but if FDR said the last four words, I too, think they should have included it. On the other hand, if it is a speech or quote from someone else, then I say I'm glad as it doesn't add to anything there and who would miss it.

mike
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Here's the scoop:

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/archives/fa ... ptions.htm

http://www.umkc.edu/lib/spec-col/ww2/Pe ... speech.htm

The quote is excerpted from the speech. A draft with part of the quote handwritten can be seen here:

http://www.archives.gov/publications/pr ... -page2.jpg

The words at issue do not seem to be omitted from the passages quoted, but perhaps there is some confusion with a later passage that ends with "inevitable triumph -- so help us God."
Mike
JOHN THURSTON

Pardon

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

You will pardon me as I am totally rellying only on memory of the declaration speech.

My recollection as to the last four words stand.

This is based on hearing the speech in film clips perhaps a hundred times over the years.

If, as Mike notes, the last four words were added my someone else, they should not be included. Again I note that my recollection is based on the video of the speech.

I I am proved incorrect---no problem.

MSU has a library of voice clips, perhaps the entire speech can be found there.
JOHN THURSTON

Great Speechs

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

The entire audio of FDR's Speech can be found at the History Channels Website.

Altough my recollection of the speech is flawed, the words "so help us God" were uttered prior to the end of the speech when a formal state of War was asked to be recognized by Congress.
mhosea

Re: Great Speechs

Post by mhosea »

JOHN THURSTON wrote: Altough my recollection of the speech is flawed, the words "so help us God" were uttered prior to the end of the speech when a formal state of War was asked to be recognized by Congress.
Yes, but to state the record clearly for the casual reader of this thread who may not wish to follow the links, etc., this is not the portion of the speech which is quoted on the monument. The confusion arises easily in the memory because the speech contains two statements with essentially the same meaning. In the middle:

"No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory."

And near the end:

"With confidence in our armed forces -- with unbounding determination of our people -- we will gain the inevitable triumph, so help us God."

The statement quoted on the monument is the former, not the latter:

"DECEMBER 7, 1941, A DATE WHICH WILL LIVE IN INFAMY…NO
MATTER HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE US TO OVERCOME THIS
PREMEDITATED INVASION, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, IN THEIR
RIGHTEOUS MIGHT, WILL WIN THROUGH TO ABSOLUTE VICTORY. "
Mike
JOHN THURSTON

Right On

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Yes Mike, although the "truncation" of the speech is correctly noted, I do not, after some thought, feel this was in any was a malicious or a "PC" action, but a matter of fitting the core of the speech on the Monument.

Much ado about nothing on my part this time around I guess.

Although, listening to the entire speed on the History channel speech was invigorating, and at the same time very saddening. I recommend it to all.

One note that it could be easy to put the cassus belli on the War on that US, because of the trade sanctions imposed by the US on Japan.

I will be posting a related matter for discussion soon.

Thanks Mike(s).

jt

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”