Gladitoria Americana-2--Opening up Boxing for comment?

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

eric235u

Post by eric235u »

Stryke wrote:Nice hook picture , I concur , I miht question wether the elboe needs to be so popped up , I kind of like the lazy hooks you`d see Ali throw were the elbows stayed more down .
Good point. In sparring and in training I personally prefer a lower elbow as well. When telling somebody how to hook I show them elbow up but I actually never do it that way. Don't ask me why...
JOHN THURSTON

\yes, Indeed

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I aplogize for not getting back to you, and others, on this my friend Erci.

Truth to tell, I just look back over a rather long list of sometimes sparlsy answered threads (not all of course) and if I see my name as the last poster, I surrender as to carrying the point on, for the moment.

The GI showing the Hook seems accurate.

I only have a little boxing traing.

Certainly Mike D is one I would always listen to-I always have.

I hope to get him down again soon along with yourself. I hope.

Sensei jack's uncle was a boxer and grew up with that art, so to speak.

What's all this nonsense about 'one more post and you'll stop 'bothering us guys"

I assure you any inattention on my part was stupd and unintentional.

So.

You had better return.

I hope to cover famous boxers and most of the boxing techniques.

Before UFC, when full contac karate was THE thing (never mind Gracie Jiu Jitsu) most competive fighters were trained in boxing, perhaps, and then trained in TKD.

Although so the wisdom went at the time.

Since the time was quite a few years ago, things have changed.

Perhaps you might take over the nextthread in the area. I ain't prous, or. well, at least not that proud.

At first glance, Uechi and Renaissance Swordplay seem to parallel the differences between 'classic' boxing and present day fencing.

In the case of the former former two, it weems a fighter keeps both hands and feet open to the attacker (squared off) and in the latter (a least at the point of delivery of the technique) the attacking arm is extended into the attack, momentarily closing off the off hand.

(See Renaissance Swordplay-another hoped for set of threads)

Be well and BE BACK

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”