Rules and Wishes----Supreme Court Case

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Rules and Wishes----Supreme Court Case

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Sensei Van has allowed me to adapt his conduct rules, and they are so adopted.

Preferences: I would PREFER to see more individual writing with pictures propery inserted. Obviously this is only a wish and preference and not a rule.

Supreme Court: I believe the Supreme Court will uphold the individuals' right to bear arms, but I beleive "Reasonable restrictions" thereof will specifically be allowed.

I think DC's "Ban" will be toast, and they will eventually have to attck the problem through another approach.

Remember the Supreme Court is only alloed to rules on actual "Cases and Controversies" Ie: , inn this case, the appeal of a brave individual in DC rre: his own lost right and damages. (any body who knows more specisce abot the case, please chime in)

The right to free speech is simialrly limited disallowing, obviouisly, the right of anyone to "shout fire in a crowded theater".

How about someone shouting "gun" .??

How about if the shout refers to someone in the theater whio is lawfully carrying?

Can the Theater reestrict carrying under a licence?

Remember, technically , one cannot carry on the MBTA or into Federal Buldings.

As to Courts: they normally allow you to check your wepaon at the door and put it into a lockbox.

I beleive this is the way all such entries should be handled.

But DO NOT carry, even in your car, under a license onto Shcool or UNiversity gronds.

This is and old law which has not been vigurously enforced, but if your do get shaken down on school grounds, you are in deep doo doo if you are carrying.

You are allowed to carry if you hjave the permission from the governing board or peson of such school or university, and I beliee they should issue same, but that has not happened yret.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

But DO NOT carry, even in your car, under a license onto Shcool or UNiversity gronds.

This is and old law which has not been vigurously enforced, but if your do get shaken down on school grounds, you are in deep doo doo if you are carrying.

This is a state by state issue. In Virginia someone with a CCW can carry concealed on the grounds of a public university if they are not a student or employee. The satate Atty. General affirmed this in writing.

As for k thru 12, in VA if you have a CCW you can have a loaded handgun on your person as long as you stay in the car. Also, there is no prohibition for an adult having an unloaded handgun in the car if it is locked up.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

The right to free speech is simialrly limited disallowing, obviouisly, the right of anyone to "shout fire in a crowded theater".
What if a woman is being attacked in the theater and shouts 'fire' by conditioned reflex as per her training to summons help? :wink:
Van
JOHN THURSTON

Improper shouts

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi:

well, in fact each case is examined on its own merit in this instance.

Knowledge of the law is a deterrent to misuse and not many cases arise.

So, if someone shouts fire in a crowded theater and he or she is correct???? Or an propased victin in a rape attack in out of said theater and is correct?.

Where would the cause of action and damages lie?

Hmmmm-i do not, fortunately have to run a case search on that one.

The cases rendering such opinions are civil and not criminal.

Civil suits require real "damages" .

As to "not carryong one a Campus being vigourously enforced.'"

Ok. I'll shade that a bit.

The police say they are vigourosly enforcing it as they maintain, In Mass., that they are vigourously maintaining the old law against two edged weaponns and a number or other "arcane" items, including nunchakus.

No, they are not strip searching every car.

Nor was I strip searched before entering courthouses with my LTC.

But I am not presently going to advise a Massachusetts resident to carry dopuble edged knives or to Carry onto School campuses under present law.

Good On Virginia for showing some sense--things are just different here.

I note that the Arguments and briefs on the "Heller Case" are now available online.

I have stored some of them in pdf form includinding "transcript of Petitioner )DC) 'oral argument" and the legal briefs of Heller, DC and others.

Let me know, they arw in pdf format.

Thanks for the ansewrs and New Questions.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

You need a CCW permit for concealed carry in Virginia and the law is one of the "shall issue" variety. In other words, you need only take an approved course in the safe handling of a handgun and the legal requirements involved in order to obtain a CCW permit. Open carry of a handgun by persons over 21 is legal in most areas in Virginia and has been the subject of much controversy when folks carrying go into Starbucks to get coffee or into other stores on various errands on their way home from the shooting range. They are now making a point of carrying openly into all such places where it is legal to do so.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”