Head to Head

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Head to Head

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I am hoping to start a series of posts placing various Warplanes and warships in a head to head comparison with their most common competitors or opponenents.

One can consider, up to recent years, that any war plane produced for WWII use in the united States Had a domestic competitor and an enemy competitor, usually more than one, during its development and deployment.

The Japanese Mitsubishi AM69G2 aka "Zeke" of most commonly known as the Zero of Zero sen had a large number of "Alied" opponents,.

Regardless of its flaws, shich were not inconsiderable, its clear strenghts were its great range one it;s internal tanks and the commonly carried centerline external tank, which does not appear to have been "disposable" as Allied aircrafts "drop tanks" commonly were.

Throughout the war it remained a threat to any allied aircraft because of its menuerability wihich was most closely approximated by the P-51D Mustand. The Mustang appeared in many guises. It was originally known in it original marks as the "Apache". However the British dubbed it the "Mustang".

In the next post I hope to post pictures of these aircraft and their performance specs.

Although thses two type did not face each other early in the war, some remarks on basic differences might be appropriate.

The "Zeke" was, for its time and weight fairly heavil
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
gmattson
Site Admin

John

Post by gmattson »

I had a computer crash awhile back and lost most of my database, including your tel number. Please send to gmattson@uechi-ryu.com

Good to see you back on-line. This looks like an interesting topic. At the 2007 Festivals of Speed in St. Petersburg they had a beautiful Warbird (sp) on display.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
JOHN THURSTON

OK

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Yes, I got into s few things that kept me busy. I do not have your telephone Number either/

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”