Fred/Katana Production

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Fred/Katana Production

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I copied the VHS I had on construction methoods (in this case two types.

Onto a DVD, could you please arrange to meet up with me and I will give you a copy.

The Mountaina streaM Iron Block, when smelted in the Japanese traditional metod shown in the 1 hour clip is called the "Takahagami".

The "Furnace" is a on time use clay cauldron that is destroyed as part of the process when the takahagami is cool enough to do so.

The Smith then come in and test layers and pieces of the Takahagami. If a piece shatters easily and is otherwiss OK, that peice, in this paticulare process (The type of construction in this case appears to be "Sanmai" where the hardest high cabon steel is is laminated/surrounded bt two softer layers on each side of softer fold forged steel, also from the same Takahagami Block.

The Japanese Master in this case ALSO Clay Tempered the Blade. When is was quenched for the final time, the "mune" (backstrap) of the blade contract and draws the sword into a more pronounced curve in the shape we most often associate with the katana.

I have a rebuilt Paul Chen Practical Katana, The Blue Oriole Set (Katana and Wakasashi) by Paul Chen which was about $1000, the introductory Set which was the first offering from Hanwei/Paul Chen---the so called "Shinto" set, the large katana aupposed to be a replica of Mushashi's katana.

I have also the Clay Tempered Offring from "the knock off bureau in china" which is to me quite good and some others you may wish to take a look at.

I am selling a "Sho" blade which is too heavy for me and what appears to be a "Capture" blade from another sorce in china. You may wish to take a look at the latter before I put it on "Auction Arms".

The Second Blade method shown on the video was simply a $4000 Clay Tempered Chrome Vanadium Carbon steel made at the Morgan Valley Forge in Iowa.

Both blade made in the video were them subjected to Tatami and Iron Armor cutting tests and both did well.

Also the blade were then place in a vise and a .45 ACP jacketed bullet was them fired at the "Hasaki" of each blade.

Since the tradtional blade was given a much higher polish, it clipped the bullet in half with hardly and vibration or marking of the blade.

Chad's Blade cut the bullet as well, but did show some oscillation and marking of the blade.

I think this video would be of the highest interest to you, so please get in touch withme so we can hook up.

I will also give of copy of the "manual" i have of the different blade types noted by one particular forge.

This small "manual" is not longer available as far as I am aware.

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”