What is a Dojo ?

The dojo to many is a place of beauty, where the daily ritual of working out takes place. Do you have a special place where you work out? A special design you created that gave the dojo its personality and in the process gives you the inspiration to put a little more into your workout? Share your secrets here.

I most enjoy training in..

An outdoor private setting.
43%
An indoor private setting.
43%
An outdoor public setting.
14%
An indoor public setting.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Thomas Ferguson

What is a Dojo ?

Post by Thomas Ferguson »

deletion by author
Last edited by Thomas Ferguson on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KentuckyUechi

Home is where your kata is.

Post by KentuckyUechi »

I love the more private area My students and I train in (a Church Gymnasium). However over the years I've become comfortable doing kata in a variety of public settings indoors and out. Some of my favorite "me time" is finding an empty or mostly empty Aerobics or Kickboxing studio in my local gym, practicing kata and making use of the mirrors while I'm in "the zone". I've found I can enjoy this "alone" time even if the gym's packed and people are spectating. I guess the ability to ignore others and do my own thing comes with age :wink: .
Everything in Moderation
gmattson
Site Admin

My flavorite

Post by gmattson »

I really love Florida, with its many lakes and parks. There is always a quiet and secluded spot where I practice my kata.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Our house backs onto a wooded area surrounding a flood plain. The flood plain hosts a public park complete with a pool, tennis courts, playground, greenspace and public vegetable gardens.

The area is very busy in the summer months, but is not often used during the cooler, or wetter seasons; and is almost entirely deserted throughout the winter.

From about end of November to the beginning of March it becomes my winter dojo and I enjoy it in private, or with small groups almost everyday.

Unlike the club's indoor dojo it offers a wide range of conditions to work in and sometimes presents environmental challenges so unexpected they would be difficult to impossible to create anywhere else.

It's one of my favorite places to train!
Chris

Return to “The Physical Dojo”