Response Continuum

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

It`s also nice to have techniques that can be flexible .

It`s like you say mike what do you do once he`s restrained and you dont have help , maybe you can let him up or maybe he resists so hard something else happens . At least with such techniques we have the flexibility to stay balanced on our Lotus 8)

What if they're two drunk female friends?
Definatley BJJ , make them pull guard and take them both to ground

Post by Guest »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

“Rick, how do you teach the Response Continuum in your school? Any particular techniques or training methods?”

To me the continuum is worked through the drills. We take one situation and work a response, then the response changes.

We discuss a number of times strategy on avoiding fights or dealing with multiple threats.

To me it is the same tool box.

A Wauke forearm shear can be a gentle control or a slamming strike.

One of the things we have altered recently is the control positions when we put someone on the ground. This came from a number of factors one being an article I read in Black Belt Magazine dealing with the differences in Classical Jujitsu and MMA. Basically MMA is a one on one fight so there are positions that give the best control when no one else can join in. On the other hand classical Jujitsu was designed for the battle field where you always had to be aware that someone else could attack you at any time.

The example in the article was the rear naked choke.

In MMA the best position to apply this from is the rear guard where you are locked onto the back of your opponent with your legs wrapped around. It is an excellent control position and hard for your opponent to escape from.

Classical Jujitsu will apply the rear naked choke by kneeling behind the opponent, with the opponent basically sitting on their butt. From this position you can see a good field of vision and you can quickly disengage the choke if you have to react to another person attacking you.

Now in the MMA position you are very vulnerable to an attack by another party.

In the classical Jujitsu position the opponent has a much higher chance of escaping.

Each is the correct approach for the purpose of the system.

So from a self protection point of view we must always be aware that the assault may involve other parties and therefore we have been adjusting how we end up once the person has been put to the ground.

Now take this a step farther along the continuum and it is not a large step to end with the person down and a break or strike rather than any form of control.

We also have to remember that the altercation must call for control.

An assault is not a fight with a referee. The opponent who wanted to hurt you is not going to tap out and then get up and shake your hand like in MMA. What happens when they say “uncle?”

So control is a large question of when it is appropriate. While all my students learn the continuum it is made very clear that a smaller person (for example 120 pounds) should not be trying to control a large strong person for very long. Not that it cannot be done but a strong person is very hard to control unless you have it done very correctly.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Rick, I hear you about the difference between a battlefield art and a ring sport. It's all about trade offs between a truck load of variables. :D
I was dreaming of the past...
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

One of the things we have altered recently is the control positions when we put someone on the ground. This came from a number of factors one being an article I read in Black Belt Magazine dealing with the differences in Classical Jujitsu and MMA. Basically MMA is a one on one fight so there are positions that give the best control when no one else can join in. On the other hand classical Jujitsu was designed for the battle field where you always had to be aware that someone else could attack you at any time.
this is good stuff Rick and I agree , I try and go for a knee ride over a sidemount etc , and open guard over closed guard if possible .. etc etc , I like to be able to transition up and down us much as you can forwards backwards etc ... I dont mind takedowns throws that include me going down , but they have to have me in a position where I`m transitioning through the move and not stuck there .

but i`m just a novice at the ground , these are only best case scenarios

Return to “Fighting Drills”