Uechi Ryu's "Bob and Weave"

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"

Uechi Ryu's "Bob and Weave"

Post by Guest »

I've been told that moving my head to and fro and up and down isn't Uechi (of course, i've been told alot of things ain't uechi). But if you look at the "Gator Killer" in Seisan (re: Fred) just before the 3 shokens, the head goes down and back up again. It is, essentially a "bob" and with some finesse and a good Sensei, it can easily become a "bob/weave". There you have it, Uechi Ryu's own built in head protection... why aren't you using it? I dunno.. ask Sensei.
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Tony - you mean the part where you bend over and target is down low?

I wouldn't call that a bob really, more like dealing with a low attack or low shoot, although I favor a low compression of the stance and bui jee hacking elbows..

Many southern styles don't really bob and weave in the conventional sense because it whacks your structure.. The bob and weave is great in boxing because of the limited number of attacks allowed to the upper body. When you add in body checks with structure, energy/balance attacks, leg attacks, knees, elbows etc, leaning outside your center of gravity <moving the head mainly> can put you into an unrecoverable position that may result in a loss of balance, falling or inability to attack, something, in general, boxing does not emphasize or worry much about.

Body movement that uses similar lines of evasion and attack should be present but instead of the bob and weave the whole body moves just a little offline and in, a la Sanchin, but with the counter, just as in boxing you can slip inside the attack with your own but one is done with a leaning over while the other is done with the spine more or less straight to maintain the kind of structure these styles use to generate body power, maintain balance and protect vital areas - in theory...

So right,

THAT'S NOT UECHI!!!! :lol: ;)
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit

Post by Guest »

JimHawkins wrote:Tony - you mean the part where you bend over and target is down low?

I wouldn't call that a bob really, more like dealing with a low attack or low shoot, although I favor a low compression of the stance and bui jee hacking elbows..

THAT'S NOT UECHI!!!! :lol: ;)
It must be the way I do it then... but as we all know, IM NOT UECHI!!!
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

But that is the part of the form you meant right Tony? Where it's looks like you're bending over forward and beating the crap out of a leprechaun standing in front of you. <Laird any pics? :D >

For Uechi or for WCK "slipping," and again this is something folks can work all by itself, I find that although the movement in these systems IMO don't really lean way over or duck down as in some boxing, the slip is still there.

The "slip" is used to facilitate the counter and is still fluid in these TMA systems, the head can move off the line first, the body can flex or curve off the line and still maintain quick centering recovery. I think Uechi-ka and other TMA should feel free to explore movement like the slip done perhaps a little more subtle in these styles, but IMO it is there. When slipping the rear hand parry can support this action and the idea is to move inside the attack with an attack of your own, such as a strike with the lead hand, this is of course right in Sanchin with the guide block/slip/strike.. Lots of variations are possible.. And that is Uechi..! :P
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit

Post by Guest »

Yeah, same part. I don't "compress", I actually relax my hip and let my upper body fall (about 45degrees) . I usually use the technique to do lifting by pushing my rear in while doing a clean and jerk, but also I use it in boxing. I also use the same technique to "bob" and weave.
I've been scolded by thatsnotuechikas for allowing my butt to stick it but I never listened to them because I know I can lift them up and throw them like a sack of potatoes, right out of a window.

If I can find someone a couple hundred pounds, i'll take some video of me doing the lift and using the Seisan Technique to get my whole body involved.

Return to “Fighting Drills”