Protecting the head in Uechi

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"

Post by Guest »

We have a rule. Everyone gets a turn.

I don't believe in hard testing.

But being the instructional meat puppet ***** some time too. Some aholes tee off on you and expect you to just take it.

Well here's the deal you get a turn too. When you are hit thrown, locked etc. you get an opportunity to show you also know how to do the same to the guy who just did it to you. Tends to keep folks honest.

If someone bangs you around and refuses to give you a turn, then I'm pretty comfortable recomending sinking your thumb in their eye socket.

Someone wants to do hard sanchin testing on me ...fine! But I get to test them too! Bet you half this crap would vanish if the muckie mucks got what they dished out.

If they are not willing too then you train with a coward and an A hole, time to move on.

Laird

no animals were injured in the creation of this post. :wink:
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

I'm with you Laird. If they dish it out, I hope they like what they are serving because they are going to get a taste of it sooner or later maybe not today or tommorrow but the will taste it. :twisted:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Not an easy thing to do after 4 wasted years, but as they say it's better to spend 10 years looking for the right teacher than studying 10 under a sh*tty one.
good stuff Ben , your on the right path

hows the Aikido going ?
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

My favourite hard testing story is one about George in Okinawa. Go George Go! :D
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

This would make for a strange topic on a WCK board..

We spend so much time hunting heads in the system, training attacks that mainly target the head area in a multitude of different ways to gain entry that you rarely hear anyone ask something like this... :lol: :roll:

For the most part you protect it with your attacks... :roll:
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ben
Have you packed in doing Uechi then ? and are just concentrating on your Aiki?

Post by Guest »

JimHawkins wrote:This would make for a strange topic on a WCK board..

We spend so much time hunting heads in the system, training attacks that mainly target the head area in a multitude of different ways to gain entry that you rarely hear anyone ask something like this... :lol: :roll:

For the most part you protect it with your attacks... :roll:
Jim, the good news is, at least it's being considered now. The simple fact that someone has addressed it means that Uechi Ryu has taken one step forward out of the tar pit.

This is a good thing because there is a small chance that someone may have to do a round or two with me, and I will go for your head. Now, this doesn't mean I will split your head open, I believe is safe training as well as hard training, but if you're not protecting your head, I will punch it (better wear your mouth guard). No more "Body Shots Only" crap...
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I haven't quit Uechi Ryu. Just the other day I was on the basketball courts doing all my kata and drills.. by myself of course.

I've been to Richmond to study with Bill a few times, and want to make a habit of visiting more often to learn some new stuff. Studying with Bill and his folks has always been a posotive experience for me.. so much to learn.

Aikido is still up in the air for me. I am going of course and learning some stuff, and the people there are great. There is a strong comradery there.. but comradery(sp??) won't help me when the dump hits and things get crazy. I am thinking I need something a little more competetive to keep me honest. In Uechi there is sparring at least.

What I am trying to find are some guys who want to meet up,spar, exchange techniques, or who want to learn Uechi and maybee carpool 180 miles to Richmond.

I could have done all of the above 5 years ago when I was single. Now I have a wife, 1 year old boy(my pride and joy),mortgage....

[/quote]
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ben
It's quite amazing what you can accomplish on your own without a Dojo or club. When I dropped Goju and started doing aiki I used to practice sparring on my own, shadow boxing but with knees elbows and kicks.......you would be surprised what can be accomplished. I used to set a timer to 3 X 2 minute rounds and go full out puching and kicking air, and do sets of 10 or 20 kicks on each leg to keep my legs working.on top of that if you've got kata then you will never get bored :D .now when I go to a karate club they will usually stick me with the white belts but it gets awefull embarressing when I beat the dan grades in sparring :lol: :lol: .....and all that is just from solitary practice :wink: ....and then you can always go to Bill to have him check your progree......aiki will give you ideas though, but as you are now finding out it isn't for the street.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

FWIW

The sanchin episode was like the last straw for me.

I've had problems with the way things were done by this group for a long time, but the price was right. I helped build the school.. for free tuition. It meant I had to do a lot of things I didn't believe in, like posting in sanchin, or trying to do a hip width stance(try it :bad-words: .. not shoulders.. hip) or doing the hirakens in hojo undo as a circle block.

I could go on and on. Ultimately it's best to be away from this school. I've been done wrong in more ways than I care to share on an open forum, and it is the last I'll speak of it.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Now, this doesn't mean I will split your head open, I believe is safe training as well as hard training, but if you're not protecting your head, I will punch it (better wear your mouth guard). No more "Body Shots Only" crap...
One of the last times I was in class I sparred with this bull who charges in with his face and head totally open, only covering his middle zone(because he knows we aren't supposed to hit in the face). I got sick of it so I started just lightly smacking him in the head.. you wanna see a guy get enraged :lol: ... TORO!!!!

Post by Guest »

Benz... who are these guys? You shoulda knocked that bulls teeth out!
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

The Bull is actually a nice guy, who I like a lot. I had no intention of hurting him. Was just trying to teach him to keep his guard up, lest he get into a real situation and end up needing dental work.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Yeah Ben.been there ,done that 8) 8) .loads of shades of grey and very little black and white.......and the guys who really ****** and dish out all this crapolla will never spar with you :evil: . best to treat your karate as a meditation, put all your gentleness and all your anger into it.make it personnal ( not something that you just do in a class)....you can get very deep with this method.sift thru the bullsch*tt and see the real fighters.the folks that you should be really afraid of.not the extra long sash kata cowboys with their perfect angled hands ( .and they will never judge you by the methods they judge themselves )......drag them down to your level :evil: :evil: ask for a practical demonstration :lol: :lol: ....like the guy who kicked you in sanchin.........show him what you would do when folks try that on you :multi: ......anyways I think you have earned the right of passage to join the "Commonwealth heretic Uechi karate/street fighting Dojo :lol: :lol: ...I think that Rick should be the President Laird the Chairman, and Stryke the secretary......enjoy the freedom 8)
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Hey Jorvik , not sure I have the legs for that :roll: :lol:

Ben doesnt need to join anything !!! I`m positive that the freedom and self responsibility will take his training to another level .

I`m sure hes grabbed stuff from Aikido , and will from whatever else he does , self training while sometimes hard has huge benifits , you get to work on what you need to !!!

And he`s always got Bill and his gang to visit every now and then , Bills done a lot of cross training and i`m sure will be encouraging .

and theres always the kata and proper conditioning , the real base of Uechi IMHO

good training Ben !!!

NOW THIS IS UECHI

Oh Yeah Like the Avatar !!!

Return to “Fighting Drills”