More PC woes

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Van Canna

More PC woes

Post by Van Canna »

For the last few months, I have been experiencing these problems:

1] scandisk/defrag can’t complete and restarts over and over.

2] Constant hang-ups on startup [ can’t get to windows desk top] requiring rebooting several times.

3] Also getting this warning at startup very often: Norton antivirus is unable to start e-mail protection.Please ensure that TCP/IP is installed and port 110 is available.

Any ideas?
Van
Two_skies

Post by Two_skies »

Hello Mr. Van Canna.
The issue with the restart or hang of your scandisk/defrag is one I have had many times before.

Essentially, this means that you have a bad disk, and there is a group of corrupted clusters which cannot be read because they are either:

1. Clusters that have been infected with a virus of some sort.

2. Your disk is fairly old and it's just ready buy a new computer. (this is because on some disks, no matter the maker, if they are used a lot, they do have a work life.) Most are anywhere between 1-3 years at best.

The disk corruption issue would also explain why you have the windows startup.

It may also be a combination of virus/disk corruption that is causing this problem.

If the sectors are physically damaged, you can check this in the bios by running the disk scanner. (Note, this is different than scandisk in windows and will take much much longer)
Basically run it, and turn of the monitor, then go to sleep.

In the morning, there should be a status on the physical condition of your drive sectors.
If there is a problem, and there is a corrupted sector, then you can use your hard drive as a paper weight at this point.

If no errors in the ingrity are detected, then a clean format of the drive and reinstall of windows should fix the issue.

The issue with:
Norton antivirus is unable to start e-mail protection.Please ensure that TCP/IP is installed and port 110 is available.

Here is the solution:
REinstall your product. This will fix the problem. :o

However, if you a super geek like me, you can take the long way:

Long Solution is also here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/na ... enDocument

Regards,
Two_skies
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Two skies,

Thank you so much for the reply, it is much appreciated.

My disk is four years old.

> If the sectors are physically damaged, you can check this in the bios by running the disk scanner. (Note, this is different than scandisk in windows and will take much- much longer)
Basically run it, and turn of the monitor, then go to sleep.<

Could you tell me how to click my way to this procedure? I am not very PC savvy. :oops:

Again, many thanks. :)
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Probably a virus!

Post by gmattson »

Unfortunately, the viruses out there are smart enough to be able to turn-off your protection system. When my computer was acting strange, the first tipoff was the notice that my virus protection was turned off and I was also, unable to load an upgrade to the program.

My system was so screwed up, had to re-install everything after reformating my disks.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Post by Guest »

Scandisk and Defrag will constantly recycle when there is disk activity from another application. If you have this problem, run scandisk and defrag from safe mode. The other alternative is to kill all your running processes including virus scan engines and firewalls. Another alternative still is just simply buy Norton utilities and use it's disk doctor and defragmenter which is alot smarter then windows version and knows to remember where it's at when there is disk activity and where to start when it stops.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Good advice, thanks. :wink:
Van
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Tony, have you ever tried Diskkeeper? Another tool to consider is WinCleaner. Both tools I've never sworn at but I'll swear by them anytime.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”