This is So big

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

This is So big

Post by Deep Sea »

Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Big trouble is right

Post by gmattson »

Since installing my "mailblocks" program, I don't see messages from computers. However, people who have my email address in their computers and have one of these virusus, get messages from "mailblocks" asking them to confirm that they sent me a message. They then email me (for real) and ask "who are you and what message did I send you?"

Unfortunately, my friends who have virusus, get their infected email through "mailblocks". Got three this morning from friends who have the virus. (I notified them)

Don't open attachments unless you get written confirmation from the sender!

The biggest problem is that these infected messages sound real. They have a sinceer subject and a text message that refers to the attachment.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Personally, George, I think the internet is doomed; at least the internet as we know it now.

It was a great place but no longer. My ISP is continually failing, I have the hardest time getting on sometimes, and when I do I get kicked off...

Much of my email does not reach recipiernts, many of them who do receive my email are unable to respond...

Yadda, yadda...

I'd look for a shoulder to cry on, George, but everywhere I turn it's a similar situation.

Worms, trojans, and viruses are continually seeking to defeat detection. Once in a while they do and cause havoc. Email spam filtering is of dubious value anymore as evidenced by the way those messages are sneaking through.

We may have seen the internet's heyday but at least it was good while it lasted, no?
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

True

Post by gmattson »

I have the "heavy duty" mailblocks program... 50megs of storage.

In one day I had over 25 megs of junk mail and viruses in my "pending" file, awaiting confirmation from senders that they are people.

I had to go through the file manually to delete the junk. I would say that over fifty percent of the junk mail contained viruses!

Whoopy do. . Are we having fun yet???
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Hi Allen,

I'm less despondant than you are. Aside from my long posts on this forum being lost whenver I hit the "submit" button, my internet experience has been just ducky. I get on whenever I want, go wherever I want, view whatever I want and downlaod whatever I want. Knowldege and information is at my fingertips, and not just propaganda or made-up stuff either. My e-mails get to where they are going, and as I mentioned before, in my 18 years of on-line connectivity I've never been infected with a virus. And for spam, my delete key works just fine.

Of course, I don't have the exposure that you or GEM has (like getting tons of e-mail everyday), but the minor inconveniences I put up with when I log on are more than mitigated by the truly great things I can do when I'm there. For me, using a computer, connected to the internet, fulfills a promise of computing made to me a generatation ago when I first started.

And just wait until I get a high-speed connection! Va-voom!

GEM,

Mailblocker doesn't have a "Select All" button?

Gene
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Hi Allen,
Yo, Gene!
I'm less despondant than you are. Aside from my long posts on this forum being lost whenver I hit the "submit" button, my internet experience has been just ducky.

I’m not even going to qualify that word because, yes, Gene, I am despondent concerning ISPs, and have been so for awhile. I depend upon a good email connection to make the connections required to pay the rent, etc., and when people report to me they are sending emails which I never receive and/or they never get what I send, then yes, not only have I lost all hope, but also have lost all faith and feel as if I have been giving to charity. NOW, I'm on the rag!!!!
I get on whenever I want, go wherever I want, view whatever I want and downlaod whatever I want.
You must be single. Stay that way because you don't want to know what you are missing. :silly:
Knowldege and information is at my fingertips, and not just propaganda or made-up stuff either.
You’ve made comments to me about my choice of Drudgereport, newsmax, men’s daily, time, etc., before and I understand that is what you are referring to with the use of your word "propaganda." You are leaning a little to the left on that one, and if so, I assure you that those readings occupy a small percentage of my web time. Most of my webtime is of a bleeding-edge technical nature as I research such things as as c/c++, UNIX/Linux, math, geometric relationships, computers stuff in general, and whatever I’m involved with at work with tremendously long lists of URL links in those areas and virtually nothing left for fun and exploration, or for the "propaganda," as you put it.

We don’t have to go there [choice of news readings] unless you want to start a friendly discussion on an appropriate forum. But bear in mind that much of my free time these days is not absorbed by internet activities except in spurts. I have a life, and most of it is NOT wasted in front of a computer.
My e-mails get to where they are going,
However, I’m recently finding out that mine, perhaps a significant portion of them, are not [getting to…], and that is what my bitch [vent] is all about. I may send out a high volume of resumes when I am looking for a new assignment, but when, say, the response is unhealthily low and I need to revert to the landline to start making connections, something is very wrong. When friends, acquaintances, and business try to reach me via email and I find out they aren’t then something is wrong with the picture as well.
and as I mentioned before, in my 18 years of on-line connectivity I've never been infected with a virus.
You ARE in a small group. Story time...

I remember when I was a young sailor. I used to scoff and smugly smirk and gloat at sailboat captains when they ran aground for whatever reason. By the time my keel scraped bottom for the first time, lodging me up on a sandbar until the next high tide, leaving me as a spectacle for passersby to think the same as I did I had read a passage that was worded something like "You are not a sailor ‘till you’ve run aground." Which saved me from both embarrassment and from the loss of pride as I told myself that I was finally a sailor [lol].

Maybe you are lucky and I DO envy you for not being knocked down on occasion and having to get up, dust yourself off, and continue moving forward, but I don’t consider myself neither unlucky nor out of the mainstream, Gene. Those things try to enter my machine several times or more a week, and when the internet is hot with them it’s even more intense. Fortunately I’ve only been caught with my pants down, or shields down, several times and those were occassions the culprit was actually able to turn my protection off, or when I rebuilt a system and was a little too impatient to install Norton’s or McAffee [the shield], before I checked my email.
And for spam, my delete key works just fine.
Again, you are spoiled-fortunate in that respect.
Of course, I don't have the exposure that you or GEM has (like getting tons of e-mail everyday),
Maybe that’s where the difference lies!!!
but the minor inconveniences I put up with when I log on are more than mitigated by the truly great things I can do when I'm there.
Spam has finally figured how to pass through the spam checkers. Along with it spam carries all sorts of unwanted, even the ability to control your computer from remote. Frankly, I’m fed up with those aggravating inconveniences, and there becomes a time to cut the losses [of time and patience].
For me, using a computer, connected to the internet, fulfills a promise of computing made to me a generation ago when I first started.
The internet has finally and fruitfully fulfilled that "promise" to the multitudes, Gene.

However IP is archaic, has more than outlived its usefulness, and with all the breaks into sensitive places by hackers and such it is time to move forward and replace it. Don’t forget it was never meant to be used the way it is and/or to the extent that it is, has undergone numerous bandaids, but the little Dutchboy is running out of fingers and thumbs to keep things plugged up as well as getting tired doing so.. Time for new technology to replace the old.

And just wait until I get a high-speed connection! Va-voom!
A a high-speed internet connection just helps the unwanteds get to you in Va-voom style plus opens up more doors for them to get through and demands the usage of firewalls.

GEM,
Roger, over and out.
-- Allen
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Hi Allen,

I wasn't referring to your choice of Newsmax, Drudge report or what have you. I was referring to stuff like " Miracle herb discovered in the Himalayas found to cure cancer, AIDs the common cold, plantar's warts and increase libido but the medical lobby succeeds in censuring this from the public" and junk like that. Usually the BS and the nonsense we see in spam.

And would it interest you to know that I read the Newsmax website every day? It's good to know what the other side is thinking :splat:

Maybe I'm just lucky, computer-wise, I guess...

And I look forward to the next revolution in internet connectivity, and let's hope it doesn't take a "blackout"-style catastrophy to bring it about.

Good luck in your continued job search!

Gene
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I wasn't referring to your choice of
Durnglebits!!! Had me fooled and foiled.
And would it interest you to know that I read the Newsmax website every day
Yeah!!! You read it more'n I do.
Maybe I'm just lucky, computer-wise, I guess...
Just keep polishing your lucky charm. I wish I had one sometimes.
And I look forward to the next revolution in internet connectivity, and let's hope it doesn't take a "blackout"-style catastrophy to bring it about.
It will probably takes something really bad, or a series of really bad somethings to bring about a new level of improvement.

Check this link out

Infected PCs await orders

and this

Virus That Infects E-Mails Expanding Its Reach

Man, all these good newses are so exciting.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

deleting junk mail...

Post by gmattson »

Gene.. yes, I can with a single click, delete all the "pending" email. However, doing this will delete legitimate email that are awaiting upgrading to my inbox. So... when my storage reaches a critical mass, I must take the time to delete the messages, page by page. With attachments, every one of these virus attachments are 99k.

Interestingly, all the virus email are around 100k is size. . .
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

By George, that is an EXCELLENT hint. I completely forgot that I can set the size of the files my emailer is allowed to receive. Most legit messages are smallish because they are text-only whereas incoming troublemakers are much larger.

BTW, did youse guys read that the latest worm does NOT depend upon your emailer? All it has to do is jump onto your machine and it carries ITS OWN email program with it so that it can begin its work without your even being aware of its existance.

Read-up on the latest two URL links I provided above, if you haven't already.

Chewers!!!
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”