Equipment Check

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Equipment Check

Post by gmattson »

Al can probably help me with this:

On the back of the computer you sold me is a card with "DIF" out RCA and and unidentified output plug. Can these outputs be used for video??

If not, do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive way to output video to a camera or VHS external machine.

Best,
George
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Maybe, but I've gone through so many PC cards over the years, I'd need to see the card, or at least know what the card is.

Two things, seeing I'm in this forum for a few moments:

1) Did you receive and/or respond to my pm of several weeks ago?

2) I thought for sure that last night I posted the beginnings of a significant new virus warning post in this particular forum and was going to fill in the blanks over lunch today, but it's nowhere to be found. What's going on?
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Al. . .

Post by gmattson »

The forums are running smoothly.... However, I haven't checked my PM in a couple days. Been out of town...

No documentation of that card.. just a RCA output and a funny little square opening with a red light inside the opening. Has a square plug inserted, which can be pulled out. The only markings is DIF.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

No, no! Don't pull that little suare plug... Thats where all them bugs, viruses, and minature Trojan Horses sneak in. The red-light gives them the ok by signaling them that the coast is clear.

Any markings on the card? Somehow, sounds like it could be an audio card of sorts.
-- Allen
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

One way to output video to a video recorder or TV is to install a video card that has a TV-Out feature. Depending on what your video adapter needs are now, you might be able to do it on the cheap. MicroCenter in Cambridge has ATI 7000 video cards w/ TV-Out for $30. They might be a step-up or step-down from the technology you are currently using. Do you know what kind of video card you are using now?

Otherwise, I dunno....

Gene
gmattson
Site Admin

thanks Gene

Post by gmattson »

That card should do. Currently, I just have a regular video card.... no outputs.
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

GEM,

Okay, I did some checking and I think I may have mistaken as to whether the card has a TV-Out feature or not. I was just there yesterday, and I could swear the box said "TV-Out". But I just checked the Microcenter website, and they make no mention of the card having that feature.

I have to go there on Tuesday, and I'll look at it again. If it's TV-Out, I'll get one for you. If not, I'll look at other options for you and report back.

Gene
gmattson
Site Admin

Svidio out

Post by gmattson »

I'm not so interested in TV out, which I would image is a cable connection. Rather, an "S" Video (Out) connection is the best. RCA cables are OK, but the quality output is not as good as Svideo.

Best,
George
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I just got back from Cambridge, and work just called and offered a few hours of easy OT.....

The ATI 7000 card has outputs for VGA, DVI and and RCA jack for TV-OUT. Sigh. The card is yours, GEM, and I can drop it off any time this week. Or I can return it if you'd like something else. No problem at all.

If you decide to go with an S-Video card, they appear to be more expensive. Not so much b/c of the different jack but becasue they are more advanced technology and are of better quality and have more memory, etc. Say in $90+ range. Some of those are on sale as well.

Hope this helps....

Gene
gmattson
Site Admin

drop over for coffee or a beer Gene..

Post by gmattson »

I'll have a look to see if it will output video.

Thanks for your help.

George
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

That "thingy" thing on the back of the "cube&

Post by gmattson »

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Hmmm...

A card or a little attachment that plugs into the motherboard?
-- Allen

Post by Guest »

It's an optical input. sweet!
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi Tony..

Post by gmattson »

Good to hear from you again....

Hope all is going well. We missed you at Winterfest this year.

Sorry for being so dumb, but what kind of "optical devise" can be plugged in? I have an little camera already installed, but it used a USB connection.
GEM
Van Canna

TONY

Post by Van Canna »

Good to see you back on the forums.

How are things in the "warm room"? :wink:
Van

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”