protect your e-mail address

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

adminator

protect your e-mail address

Post by adminator »

It happens that people share e-mail address and personal information openly on the Forum.
Posting your email address on the Forum is a sure way to get an Inbox full of unsolicited email advertisements.
Address-harvesting robots are searching the Forum every day and collecting e-mail addresses.
We advice you not to use your primary email address for this purpose.

There is a safer way to share e-mail address.
The Forum permits all users to send Private Massages "PM".
To prevent your mailbox from spams we suggest you to use this option to share your e-mail address with others.

Tips how to protect your e-mail address from Spam robots:

- masks your e-mail address by replacing the '@' symbol with "at" the "." with "dot". See bellow:
james at hotmail dot com

- or start your e-mail address with the word "spider" or "spam". see bellow:
spiderjames at hotmail dot com
Ask the other person to remove the "spider" or the "spam" words and convert "at" to the '@' symbol and "dot" to " . " to reconstruct the real e-mail address.

-another way to stop web spiders from collecting your e-mail address is to use graphic images.
Web spiders can't read graphic images;so this method will protect you from potential spammers.

We kindly ask you not to reveal information that you do not want to make public. Any personal information that you post can be used by others.
Anything you post in the Forum, you post at your own risk."

Regards,

Site Administrator
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: protect your e-mail address

Post by gmattson »

Excellent advice. . . wish I had followed this advice earlier. I now get over a hundred spam email a day! My spam detection gets many of them, but too many do get through and require my attention.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
emattson

Re: protect your e-mail address

Post by emattson »

You don't need to ever add your email in the forum posts or replies. Instead, anyone can contact the poster by clicking on his name link which is always shown in his post as a red link. That opens his profile screen where you can click the "Send email to (name)" link. That opens your email program with the correct email address.
Attachments
LinkToProfile.png
LinkToProfile.png (17.32 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”