Journey Through The Web

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Scott Danziger

Journey Through The Web

Post by Scott Danziger »

The journey to find links on the web has proven to be fascinating as well as educational. Though sometimes, you get a mess of the sticky stuff on you.

Well, the links page, as of 10:09 EDT on Saturday November 28th 1998, has reached 207 links. What a journey (or strange trip) it's been. I had done this previously when I was constructing my own MA links page a while back (<a href="http://members.aol.com/scotttd/ma1.htm">MA Links</a>) but this time I was really reaching for some really exiting and informative Martial Art Web pages. I did my best to ignore the garbage but sometimes the garbage was actully quite amusing if not entertaining.

For example, did you know I found a web site, run by 37 year old tenth degree master? WOW. Man this guy must be something huh? Imagine what he'll be when he turns 45 years old. Maybe 15th degree. What is the color of that belt?

But I also found some very good sites that really are devoted to their style and passing on whatever information they can to their audience.

I did not include sites that were overly cluttered with crap. ie: Sites that were self promoting a particular dojo and not a style or system. However, I did include all the Uechi sites and dojo sites I could find. (This is a Uechi site afterall.)

I also noticed that all the geocities sites bite the big one. Not in content - some sites were actually quite good, but in their annoying advertisments that block out your screen on every click. A shame for the people who belong to geocities. Members of that service would do well to complain. It turns off and away visitors. A simple logo as they have is much better or a banner attached to the page.

Some sites were done so visually pleasing with informative pages that they rated the mighty "cool" site. Check them out! But, just because a site wasn't rated "cool" doesn't mean it has nothing to offer. Many of them do.

There is a lot to learn out there. Explore, seek, discover! And if you find a really good site worthy of being included here, please, by all means send it on over to me via the "add a site" option. I only ask that you please check to make sure it isn't already listed.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Scott
moulton

Journey Through The Web

Post by moulton »

Tremendous quantity of martial arts web-garbage. Sad thing is that there are people who believe in some of that trash. I wrote a web-crawler once and captured several thousand martial arts pages out there and started reviewing until I got sick of it and just gave up.

Scott, your work is impressive and very informative. You have a big job ahead of you to weed-out the chaff.

Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Journey Through The Web

Post by gmattson »

I had some time yesterday afternoon and decided to check out some of Scott's work. Normally, the process of simply pulling martial arts site off a search engine is most unrewarding!!! People spend more time getting their sites listed than making an interesting site. But Scott's selections all proved interesting and unique. . . which is how I rate a site. I didn't find any "duds" in the 20-25 sites I checked out.

Keep up the good work Scott. And I really like the "cool" site award. . .

Best,
George
Scott Danziger

Journey Through The Web

Post by Scott Danziger »

To all,

Thank you for the kind words. I use Anthony's forum to announce what's up in the links section since it is he who set it up for me to do and it is the least I can do for this site. It's been over 3 years now I think since I started logging on, maybe 4 and it has been a tremedous motivator for my home training and getting interested in Uechi again.

Anyway, I will do my best to keep the quality of the sites in line. There are some though that are there that may amuse the serious martial artist. Sometimes I want to add a comment about how flaky a site might be but I'm sure the "serious" artist will find that out. I don't want to start a flame war or anything.

I've also come to realize, just recently, that some sites, though narrowed to their particular dojo, may help someone who is looking for a school in a particular area. I've should have realized that considering I did this with my <a href="http://members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/i ... l">Martial Arts Of Long Island</a> site. (Shameless promo)

Maybe I should create a group - Sites that give Martial Arts a bad name. But that would only cause unneccessary grief and not worth the bother.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited 11-28-98).]

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited 11-28-98).]
Scott Danziger

Journey Through The Web

Post by Scott Danziger »

Anthony,

Good idea, I think I'll do just that.

Now I have to find that on ewith the 37 year old 10th degree. Ya gotta check it out. It's almost cultish.

Scott
Jackie Olsen

Journey Through The Web

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Yes, there certainly is a wealth of info out there. It's amazing what people can claim...

For those of you who really love verbal swordplay ... check this site out and match wits with Eliza..

http://philly.cyberloft.com/bgoerlic/eliza.htm

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 11-28-98).]
moulton

Journey Through The Web

Post by moulton »

Hello Scott.

Unless you stumble into some spectacularly stupid, absured, and amusing sites worth posting, it is probably not worth your efforts unless you are going to do it anyway.

I noticed you have a Holywood section. Visit Cynthia Rothrock's webring, or try <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/3841/">The Cynthia Rothrock Site</A> for the latest in women's karate gis. Talk about distracting the opponent!

Allen

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 11-29-98).]
Scott Danziger

Journey Through The Web

Post by Scott Danziger »

Sensei Moulton,

Speaking of Cynthia Rothrock, a fine looking woman if I do say so (as well as Martial Artist), here is a picture I snapped of her with Joyce Santamaria at the Empire State Nationals earlier this month. She is truly more beautiful in person than on screen. (I was smitten)

moulton

Journey Through The Web

Post by moulton »

Scott,

Such a beautiful smile. Definitely a 10 in more ways than one.

Allen
Greg

Journey Through The Web

Post by Greg »

Scott,

I visited your "shameless plug" - nice work! At the time I was growing up on the island, training in the arts was generally limited to judo classes at the local Y. When I was in my very early teens, I got my true (and slow) start in the arts studying Tang Soo Do with Arthur Cohen, then in Massapequa Park, now (according to your site) in Wantaugh.

Back then, I think people mostly studied what was most local. They had few choices, and for the most part, no basis of comparison. At the time, there were no such thing as kids classes - we just jumped in with the adults (much to both my and their dismay).

Anyway, sites like yours will hopefully become more common in the future... and if you run into Arthur Cohen, tell him that Greg Postal is *finally* practicing his kata...

greg
Scott Danziger

Journey Through The Web

Post by Scott Danziger »

Greg,

Thanks. I got the idea as I was looking for a Uechi dojo here on the Island. But I live out in Suffolk (Middle Island area). Except for the one dojo in the school listing, those are the schools I found with websites. There are so many schools here it's rediculous. Mainly because most of them are here and gone in a year.

I try to get to any tournaments I know about (ya never know when you run into a backyard teaching/practicing uechika) and I've met some really nice people to boot.

I'll look out for an Arthur Cohen. Ya never know.

Scott

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”