Scanner suggestions?

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Scaramouche

Scanner suggestions?

Post by Scaramouche »

I'm interested in buying the best moderately priced scanner available. I know that my wife wants one for Christmas, but due to a very recent house purchases. We are on a real austerity budget. Still, I'd rather get her a very good medium priced scanner than a not very good inexpensive one.

Any suggestions?

Scaramouche
moulton

Scanner suggestions?

Post by moulton »

Hello Scaramouche.

Computer City are offering scanners for less than 100 bucks. These seem to be a nice deal. UMAX offers a line of very inexpensive acceptable quality scanners.

If you are in Mass. There is a store called "Best Buy" which also offers similar prices.

Get a scanner that connects to the parallel port unless you are familiar with SCSI

Allen
Scaramouche

Scanner suggestions?

Post by Scaramouche »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I actually live in California, so info on brand names, technical capabilities, etc, are more useful than on the stores that carry scanners. Still, I'm getting good ideas. The mustak sight looks interesting. I'll look at it more carefully tomorrow.

I am also interested in how good optical resolution and dp interpolation need to be to do a good job scanning color photos.

A friend of mine who is a computer graphics artist told me that in his experience a scanner may look very good based on its technical features, but that it may do a less impressive job than an apparently less fancy one. He favors epsoms, and says that HPs are good too.

Any further advice welcome, and thanks again.

Oh yeah, we have Best Buy here too.

Scaramouche
moulton

Scanner suggestions?

Post by moulton »

Ok, Anthony; Storytime again...

I purchased a beautiful, fast, efficient UMAX scanner several years ago. Slick SCSI.

My new machine requires a SCSI card. The catch is that whenever I get around to wanting to attach the scanner to the pc, I will need to go out and purchase an Adaptec card which will outstrip the price of a new scanner. The decision on connectivity boils down to a convenience/ performance issue of parallel vs SCSI -- and now USB which is becoming more popular and contains both the convenience and performance attributes of both SCSI and parallel port I/O.

USB? Isn't that the code which you use to attach tags to text in this forum?

Allen

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 12-15-98).]
moulton

Scanner suggestions?

Post by moulton »

USB is standard on all new pcs and may be the answer. You can even run your keyboard with USB -- and you don't need another card, compliments of motherboard.

UBB/USB didn't get past you this time; I got worried after the first time I did this...

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 12-15-98).]

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”