Refreshing

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Bill Glasheen

Refreshing

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Anthony

There are two problems with this new system.

1) I get notified when there is a new post. I may indeed be on my forum and in the very thread at that time. In the past, I just clicked on Refresh on the button bar in Explorer, and the new post(s) came right up. Now it kicks me back to a higher level of the Forum screen - the one where you choose which person's forum to enter.

2) Often I can Refresh all I want, and all I see is evidence that there are more posts (in the enumeration at the listing of all threads) but I cannot read the new post(s) when I click on the thread. Instead I get the same old list. The only way I seem to be able to read the new posts is to leave Internet Explorer completely and reinitiate it. This is a real pain the ass for me at work as I have a firewall that I must pass through each time I go out on the internet from our intranet.

This all happened with the advent of the recent changes (along with a few other annoying side issues). Comments?

Thanks
Bill
Bill Glasheen

Refreshing

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Anthony

Understand that I DO want to be notified when there are posts. You didn't turn this off because you thought I was complaining, did you? This is a very convenient feature - ESPECIALLY when there is a flame war going on. Need to keep on top of things when tempers flair! I was merely stating that WHEN I AM NOTIFIED THERE IS A NEW POST (which I like), I couldn't read it without getting out of Explorer and then back in again.

I tried the right click refresh and it seemed to work - didn't boot me back to some previous part of the tree. I'll have to check out how it works when someone posts. Now that you explained what was going on, it makes sense what it is doing.

I do not use my back button while doing this. I am aware that this doesn't give you the most recent read off the 'net.

Another annoying issue - during flame wars I like (need) to go straight to the forum rather than navigate through the maze. I realize this bypasses the ticker, but time is very precious to me. Since the forum has been recreated, the old shortcut doesn't work anymore. I presume the address of this forum has changed. Anything I need to know before creating a NEW shortcut?

Thanks
Bill

Bill

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”