Internet Explorer 5

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Dakkon

Internet Explorer 5

Post by Dakkon »

Ok Folks the M$ machine has churned out another release of "IE".
This one is bloatware as normal but has some nice features!
IT COOKS on JAVA and does a couple other little things that are nice perks.
More later.

------------------
ÐÅKkØÑ
M.C.S.E.
A+ Cert.
M.C.P.

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 03-18-99).]
Dakkon

Internet Explorer 5

Post by Dakkon »

OK,
I ran the "active" set up for I.E. 5 this morning. As normal i chose a custom set-up.
Good thing!! i would have been assimulated with Outlook Express. Not that Outlook is bad but Outlook 98 and Outlook Express don't get along,plus if you have any other MAPI based mail program you might have been assimulated to Outlook Express. There is some additonal sounds and fonts but nothing really too bad. a "standard" download with get you around 17megs worth of download. A "custom" download can get you from 4-50 megs.********** IF and I mean IF YOU HAVE Netscape installed where Netscape is the default browser PLEASE CLICK on th "Advanced" button during the install!!!!! If you don't IE 5 will install it self as the default browser and take over some file types. Thats a major pain in the butt !! ************
I only had one site to chose to download from. It takes from 30minutes to 3 hours depending on what you chose to download. Plus the normal reboot after a install of any M$ product.After the reboot every thing was ....... is, still working normally !!!!
Netscape was still my default browser and Outlook never batted a eye!!!!
Nect to get the Office privacy patch for Word 97.

------------------
ÐÅKkØÑ
M.C.S.E.
A+ Cert.
M.C.P.
gmattson
Site Admin

Internet Explorer 5

Post by gmattson »

Was reading PC World latest edition. . . they recommend IE5 over netscape v4*! I'm tempted, but I use Netscape mail and don't want to switch over to one of MS mail programs right now. If Netscape would only read the mpeg files, I'd not fix something that already works!

Enjoy and appreciate the first hand experiences of people who are brave enough to try new programs. Much better than having to do it myself. Image

------------------
GEM
Dakkon

Internet Explorer 5

Post by Dakkon »

Har Maties....!!!!!!

Ok, as far as links go i'll provide a couple to some different locations for downloading IE5 and reading some reviews/articles.
Here is what c|net has to say;
C|Nets review

Click here to download IE5

Another site to download from is Tucows Florida

Thats it for now, I would have put a link to M$ site up but i think thats a little pointless. As for Mr. Mattson's concern with the MAPI based mail programs. Don't worry as long as you do a custom install and choose not to install Outlook Express Netscapes mail program will remain as your only mail program also hit the "Advanced" button so you can make a few other choices and ensure that Netscape retains ownership of your computer.

Have fun and Compute safely!

Dakkon
M.C.S.E.
A+ Cert.
M.C.P.

P.S. i am using IE5 to make this post and being the forums are Java heavy i never noticed IE5 bating a eye like Netscape or IE4 did. Very fast and sweat!!!

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 03-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 03-19-99).]
Dakkon

Internet Explorer 5

Post by Dakkon »

Tony-son asked if i knew of any issues with IE5 and Eudora or older versions of IE4 and/ or if there was any special issues for netscape/IE X users.
As far as the Eudora issue goes Just make sure you do a custom install and deselect Outlook express. Next click on the "Advanced" button and check the boxes that will let Netscape retain its current settings and the other button is the file types one. Those are the two i checked, cause i have other programs registered to handle specific file types.
The first step assumes (i know thats a dangerous thing to do but..) that you are using Netscape as your default browser. The other assumes you are NOT using Outlook Express for your mail program.
Other then that IE5 gets along with Netscape 4.08 and/or Netscape 4.5 and Eudora fine.

Next is the IE4.x to IE5 migration.
i was running IE4 with SP1 so the upgrade happened with no glitchs. As far as trying to upgrade IE3 to IE5 i have no idea cause i haven't seen IE 3 in a LOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG time. i think any IE4x to IE 5 should go smooth. But as we all know thats subject to M$'s whim.

Thats it for now,
Take care and safe surfing !
Dakkon

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 03-21-99).]

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”