$Soft Explorer vs 5

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

$Soft Explorer vs 5

Post by gmattson »

To Dakon and anyone else experieneced in this area:

I'd like to download the new vs 5 of Explorer. However, when I was about to download it, I read an accompanying message saying that "all earlier versions of Explorer should be deleted before installation of vs 5"

I asked Tony about this and he wasn't aware of this warning. Does vs 5 overwrite vs 4 or does it install a new and independent version.

Secondly, I can't un-install vs 4 from my setup control panel. Explorer is not listed! I can't find the uninstall file in the explorer directory. Hmmmmm Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
GEM
maurice richard libby

$Soft Explorer vs 5

Post by maurice richard libby »

Mattson-san,

I should leae this to people who actually know what they're talking about , but that never stopped me before.

I think message means pervious versions of IE5 ,ie Beta versions.

In the custom setup it asks you if you want to be able to run both v. 4 and v5 on the same machine, so i don't think there's too much problem between the two. it's incompatibility between IE5 beta and the final version that they are warning you about.

But hen, what do I know Image.

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Dakkon

$Soft Explorer vs 5

Post by Dakkon »

Ok it appears that Tony-San had some troubles but things still went good.
I did some screen captures so you can sort of see what i was talking about.
Below is the first screen shot.

Note the two options.

Here is step two

Note the circled button.

Step three

note the option to make IE5 behave ;-)

i hope the above screen shots help clear up things.

Dakkon

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 03-21-99).]
Dakkon

$Soft Explorer vs 5

Post by Dakkon »

I just un-checked the stuff i didn't want.
I'm wondering if they didn't change the active set-up program?
Hmmm i'll research that and let you know if they did.
Back in a few with more information.

Dakkon
Dakkon

$Soft Explorer vs 5

Post by Dakkon »

Ok good Question?
I never saw the "please uninstall IE4" thing when i did my upgrade.
If i did i too would have ignored it and went ahead with the upgrade.
i never missed with the beta of IE5 cause i don't want too much beta software on my machine.
Now for the other things, This is the first version of IE that will allow two totaly different versions of IE to be on the same machine at once. If you do the upgrade IE5 overwrites IE4 and imports most of your settings. If you do the install next to IE4 it shpould import the settings and give you two totaly different IE's, I personaly would never do the dual IE thing as bad things are bound to happen ;-) I did my install on a Win 98 machine so things maybe different on a Win 95 machine too.
I wouldn't worry about the missing uninstall feature of IE in the control panel applet thats normal (sometimes it there and sometimes its not,just depends).
Thats it for now folks, i'll be watching the forums closely for any other questions or updates

Take care,
Dakkon

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”