IE/NETSCAPE WOES

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Van Canna

IE/NETSCAPE WOES

Post by Van Canna »

Dear Tony,

Couple of problems :

1] Netscape navigator 4.5 ; front page of our web site does not any longer show the contents list ...the whole section of the page under "contents' is left blank !

2] Internet explorer ; It shows all the items under the 'contents' caption , but suddenly it refuses to register new dates and times of last posts under the ' last post ' column ! The light bulb does light up and the new messages do display when clicking the thread , however ! Also when posting or replying , it always requires my name and password as opposed to netscape which remembers them !

3] I still cannot figure out how to walk through the steps of setting up IE to automatically connect to internet and our web page by just turning the computer on !
The last version I had would do just that , i.e., power computer on and forget it ; come back a few minutes later and our web site in full display and connected to the internet assuming I powered off from last viewing the site !
Any ideas ?

Regards ,

Van

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited 04-25-99).]
Van Canna

IE/NETSCAPE WOES

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Tony,

< For connecting to the net automatically make a desktop shortcut to the web site. Right click on the "start button" and select "open". then click "programs" then "start up". Drag the shortcut you made into the start up folder >

DONE ! But still no auto connection !

< Be sure you've had the connection utility remember your password and have it set to "connect automatically". >

This still confuses me ; could you walk me through it click by click ?

I dumped the cache and cleared history in netscape , but it still refuses to show the contents list !

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

IE/NETSCAPE WOES

Post by Van Canna »

Tony,

1] When on Internet properties , I depress the connection tab and I see a window with “connection” < use connection wizard to connect your computer to Internet > !
Then I see ‘proxy server’ and “ auto configuration” under that !

2] Main page ! forums , mailbag , store, what’s new columns , I get all that is underneath those columns okay ! To the left of “forum “ you see the “ contents” column …? Underneath that it is all blank in netscape navigator only ! In IE I get the whole page !

3] the forum summary page in IE does not register the latest posts i.e., the number and time of replies ; then when I click on a topic I have to hit the refresh button to see the new posts ! In netscape It works okay ! Never had this problem before in IE !

4] Netscape worked fine until the upgrade to a new front page , then problems ! I downloaded version 4.5 from the web a few months ago ! I still have my netscape CD - 4.0 communicator which always worked well ! Question : Should I reinstall 4.0 ? Do I have to delete 4.5 first before reinstalling 4.0 ?

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

IE/NETSCAPE WOES

Post by Van Canna »

Tony,
Okay __done !

------------------
Van Canna

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”