NT Service Pak 5

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Allen M. »

Has anyone experienced difficulties with the installation of Service Pak 5. The installation keeps reporting it cannot find a log file then aborts the process although the log file exists.

I sent some email off to Microsoft concerning this issue, but Lord knows when they'll respond.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Dakkon

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Did you D/L it or take it off cd?
I have mine installed off the Tech-net cd (june ed.) and it went in fine.
copied it to the hard drive for later use and still runs fine. I have two NT machines and i do a uninstall ability on one and not the other and they both work fine. Its a decent sized SP too 33megs.

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 06-21-99).]
Allen M.

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Dakkon.

I D/Led it from ms.com. It IS big, an over 30 meg zip file, and took half the night to capture it. The zip file self-tests itself 'ok' for integrity before extracting the files, so I have confidence the SP is ok.

No... One of the first things I did was verify the existence of setup.log. Once that was verified I inspected the attribute to insure it was not read-only (I know, what does read-only have to do with the message? Frankly, I don't trust Microsoft).

The other thing which was curiously interesting is that SP5 unzipped itself to whatever drive it felt like invading, in this case repeatedly to 'S'.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot with a system issue and one way to attempt to circumvent the following problem is to install SP5.

Memory, and maybe even the registry is getting corrupted and this machine slows down to the speed of a '286 after about 30 or so builds with a Java interpreter. Task manager reports 100% CPU usage even when all the apps have been removed. The required reboot had gotten old and is a royal pain.

The interpreters are not cleaning up after themselves, but there are also bugs in NT which the SPs patch, hopefully SP5 will help take care of this corruption.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
edited by Allen M. (edited 06-21-99).]

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 06-21-99).]
Allen M.

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Anthony,

Exactly what I want to do: rebuild the OS on another hard drive. However, to be able to do this on jumbo hard drives, as a minimum, a patch to SP3 is required. Instead of *** around, I will install SP5 up front.

However, before I go ripping everything apart, I want to do this drive with SP5.

So I should just plunge forward and do the new hard drive? Yeah, right! I have become a veteran doubting Thomas in some areas and want to see it work. If I can't get it to find setup.log first, I have - confidence in their product.

Dakkon,

I pulled setup.log from my other NT machine and copied it all over the place on this machine in hopes the setup would find it. No such luck, SP5 still goes tilt.

I recieved an birthday card from a student a few months back which is quite appropriate. It is quite large so I zipped it up. http://www.uechi-ryu.org/SW_Engineer.zip

------------------
Dakkon

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Dakkon »

Allen ,
I wouldn't even think of a rebuild !
not on a working OS and large drive.
if you are in the Brevard are i am willing to let you borrow the Tech Net cd it's on and try it from there. Also do you maybe have a redirect on the the temp path on your machine? i.e. temp = x:/temp
I had Adaptec software beat me up till i figured out it didn't like having the temp dir redirected.
Just for laughs is this your own workstation at work or a server? not that it matters just some times other people may get on it and screw things up that you don't know about ;-O
Thats about it for now.
Regards,
Chuck
Allen M.

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Chuck,

I put temp folders on each of the 17 drives (most logical).

I pretty much own all usage of this one.
There are bugs in NT, for instance the Explorer pulls an exception error, the registry has a habit of dumping passwords, and other piddly stuff. Sometimes software, which worked on prior installations, chokes sometimes. The system loads into memory slower than it should, and has other idiosyncrasies.

I do SW development on this machine and often stretch its resources.
These are reasons I want to rebuild the OS from scratch plus to clean-out old stuff.
Am going to rebuild as soon as I complete this Java project I am up to my ears in. I got around the memory hog by building the app as an applet using the J++ IDE for the build/debug cycle. Then when I need to add the I/O and multi-threaded stuff, etc. I'll bite the bag and put a main in it again and use the Sun javac components.

J++ is a real toy. When you get into Java, write-out all your AWT (Not an acronym for Advanced Weapons and Tactics) stuff instead of using the Wizards. RAD, maybe, but platform limiting.

Back to the salt mines, but a sincere thanks for the offer.

Allen - uechi@ici.net - www.uechi-ryu.org

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 06-22-99).]
Dakkon

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
If you would like i can burn you a copy of SP3 SP5 and some other NT utils on a cd and send them your way.
All of these would of course come off the Tech Net cds so they are good and clean.
No cost to you.
E-mail in priv. if you would like it.
Take care,
Chuck
Allen M.

NT Service Pak 5

Post by Allen M. »

Thanks for the offer, Chuck.

What I really need is a Windows 98 floppy sos I can load my 98 using a dual-boot system so I can put stuff on that os. I have the CD that came with the machine, but cant find the floppy.

I have both SP3 and 5, but an reluctant to rebuild in case something not right happens and I get stuck between a rock, hard place, and a sharp edge.

I appreciate the offer very much.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”