NEW DELL P.C.

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Van Canna

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Van Canna »

Planning to buy the following :

1] Dell Dimension xps T_ 550 , Pentium III@ 550 MHZ

2] 256 MB --100 mhz Sdram __2 dims

3] 20.4 GBI ultra ATA hard drive @ 7200 rpms

4] 19 inch trinitron P990 monitor

5] 32 Mb diamond viper V770 NVIDIA AGP graphics card

6] 6x Max variable dvd ROM drive and decoder card with TV out

7] Sound blaster live value 512 V sound card

8] Altec Lansing acs 340 speakers with subwoofer

9] 3 com USrobotics V.90 PCI telephony winmodem for sound

10] Iomega zip 250 mb built in drive with one disk ,W98/WNT

11] surge protector !

12]quiet key keyboard

13] Ms Intellimouse !

I have spoken to you Allen on this already but I am curious as to what the other PC "brains" i.e., Anthony , Dakkon et-al think of the choice
Of the Dell product and the outlined components ! Would you change anything ! Do you guys know if the Dell modem is a cable modem ?

Thanks ,

------------------
Van Canna
gmattson
Site Admin

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by gmattson »

Sounds like a Ferrari!

Do you get to take a testride?

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Allen M. »

Anthony,

The Dell I purchased last xmas has 4 PCI- bus slots, one occupied by the audio card.

Smart clients I contract to purchase either Dell or Gateway. The Dell I have has two USB ports, and one com port. All the Gateways I have used come standard with one RS-232 connector for the com port too.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Allen M.

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Allen M. »

Tony,

Dell has come a long way in the past 5 years. I bought mine last x-mas, and thought you got yours about the same time? I'm quite happy with mine, and when it came through with the wrong operating system (98) and NT would not install because of a jumbo drive bug, DELL sent a replacement hard drive with NT already installed to a serviceman who installed it at my home within three days of my original call. Not one problem since. Nice, clean machine. Easy to get inside and work on. Don't think I've had the cover on it in six months. When a PC takes the abuse I dish out, it HAS to be good.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 07-05-99).]
Dakkon

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Dakkon »

Great Machine!
Almost a dream machine even for me ;-)
Only things i question are the 6x DVD drive
and 32 meg Diamond V770 NVida card.Reasons being,
6xDVD is the computer going to with 20 feet of a tv that you wish to watch a DVD on?
DVD is still a growing pain on PC's
downgrade to a reg cd-rom and but that toward the modem.
32meg Diamond NVIDA ? I thought NVIDA was dead thanks to the Voodoo 3000's and mass support for Voodoo? {Thats a personal thing}
I agree with Tony on the winmodem get a real modem. The cable modem thing is actually a external modem that uses a "NIC" to connect to your PC, there for you will need a PCI slot for the NIC they install when they install you cable modem.
The sound blaster LIVE! is a killer card if you have all 5 speakers!!! BUT !!! it don't work in Windows NT or Win 2k :-(
Other then that its a KILLER machine.

Congrats on your purchase you will be able to run Win 2k and office 2k!
Enjoy it as that machine will last you well into the new century

Dakkon
Allen M.

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Allen M. »

Tony,

How 'bout both a DVD and a CD-R/W drive for the PC. Me, I have no use for CD player in the PC except to load software, back-up data, and listen to music CDs. Loading software is faster with a faster drive, but for the amount of times it is used, does that need to be the priority?

I don't play CD games on the PC, but I'll bet that could be the real reason for the need for speed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that DVD drives/hardware/software have had enough time to wring-out their bugs and compatibility issues. I figure if you want a DVD drive, it is better to get it installed in the PC with matching hardware by the manufacturer so if something goes wrong, or if you decide you don't like it then you still have 30 days to make an adjustment.

These are just my current thoughts on DVDs. Do you care to agree or disagree, either Dakkon or Tony?

------------------
Dakkon

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Dakkon »

They have for the most deceided on a "standard" for DVD playersin the pc's. But a 6x drive is a 6X drive which by todays standards is snail slow. the CD-r/w would be a worthy swap out!!! I'd take a writer over DVD any day for the same price. Most games today are still writen to run of a 4x cd-rom. One thing is that with the IDE writers is they suffer from buffer underruns and lack of top notch features on the software side. The buffer underruns are results of the IDE having to through the systems bus which means it shares and burners need a uninterupted feed of data. SCSI is the only way to go on burners (IMHO).
Either way i agree with Tony Thats a computer and i wish i was getting it too!!!
Allen M.

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Allen M. »

Dakkon,

I have burners in both my remaining PCs. The SCSI one is in the older (sometimes faster) SCSI machine while the newer one is an IDE burner in the newer machine (SCSI is superior, but commands a much higher dollar figure).

The IDE one on the newer machine is a RW writer at 2x and 4x, but is a 24x reader. This one was inexpensive, something like $129.00 at Comp USA or one of those, and is packaged by Creative, the Sound Blaster people. Good software came with it exhibiting none of the problems you mentioned. I'm considering selling-off both my zip drives while I can get a few bucks for them and use the CDRW for all backups. at $0.75 per 650 meg platter, you can't get much cheaper for backups.

Van is currently considering a DVD and CD-RW combo in lieu of a DVD and Zip combo (an ex-or situation: can have one or the other but not both due to EIDE limitations.)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 07-09-99).]
Van Canna

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Van Canna »

My new Dell up and running! After reading your informative responses, I made the following changes:

1] 256 MB --100 mhz Sdram __2 dims with EEC

2] 22.6 GBI ultra ATA hard drive @ 7200 rpms

3] turtle beach Montego a3d 320v sound card

4] 6x max DVD -ROM

5]Sony Cd-Rw drive in second bay

6] MS office SB 2000 and Bookshelf 2000 with IE -5.0

7] Pentium 3 , 550 MHZ

Dell delivered in one week flat . The Sony Trinitron 19 inch is amazing!

Thank you all for your advices and suggestions.

------------------
Van Canna
Dakkon

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Dakkon »

Which O/S did you ot for?
Win 98se or did you get a beta Win2k?
Van Canna

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Dakkon,

I went for windows '98se!

Couple of problems:

1]my newly installed Netscape browser crashed and I lost all book marks!

2]I lost windows sounds , email sounds etc.
but the audio [CD's] is okay through the speakers , although not as loud as I had thought !

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

------------------
Van Canna
Dakkon

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Dakkon »

Hey Allen,
If you haven't deleted the netscape directory you can also recover the bookmark.html file (which is netscapes "favorites")Just open windows explorer and goto the netscape directory and then goto the users directory look for your profile (if you didn't create on its called default)directory and open it and look for a file called bookmark.html
right click on it and copy it some where. You can then import it back into Netscape or IE 4/5.
I'd just re-install netscape into the same directory and paste the bookmarks back into my user directory.
Didn't know 98se supported/used more then 64megs? by that i mean will see it and use it.
Take care,
Dakkon
Allen M.

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Allen M. »

Van,

Did you install your bookmarks from your old machine yet?

Try IE. You might not return to Netscape...

I think the Trinitron is the best the market has to offer.

------------------
Van Canna

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Van Canna »

IE –5 did import most of my bookmarks lost in the crash of Netscape, but not all __unless I am missing something in the retrieval process.

Dakkon

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am still having trouble following your procedure [a real pc illiterate here with a killer machine]

Anthony

On the sounds, Dell showed me that when I play DVD [digital sound] I must right click on the screen, bring up panel control, and click on the SPDIF button to get DVD sound! I must then reverse the procedure to restore windows sounds! They also had me turn up the volume of all components of my sound card, which I can now control with the speaker knob!

The sound with the subwoofer blows me right out of my chair!

Allen

You are right about IE __ Netscape doesn’t cut it and it is now pretty much idle!

Yes Trinitron monitors are awesome!

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

NEW DELL P.C.

Post by Van Canna »

Anthony,

I will not be using Netscape any longer _ I'll stick with IE-5

Questions:

1] IE; launches with large fonts! I have to go to "view" and make changes.Is there a way to keep the changes to a default setting?

2] Eudora ; is there a way to change the background color as well as set fonts and style to default setting? Cannot find 'background color' anywhere , and my fonts style and color and size needs to be reset every time I restart the PC !

------------------
Van Canna

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”