NT 4.0 Explorer

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

Been through all the help files on this pc and mucked-down at MS's MSDN looking for an answer to the following question without resolve. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate a post.

NT's explorer allows me to put the cursor over a graphic (jpeg, tif, etc.), single-click, then a thumbnail of the picture is displayed to the left of the item list.

Something happened that caused the display to not happen anymore and I've exhausted local and MS resources to get me going agin with this feature.

Anyone know how to reset this feature after it fails to function?

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

Been there, done that 1,000 times over the past week. Even poked in the registry.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

I think I'll get into the registry and poke around a little while first. Thanks.

------------------
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Chuck,

The problem with breaking into the registry is that it is time consuming. However the flip side is that I can do a lot of dangerous customization along the way.

I have NT4.0 SP5. Using IE4.0 version 4.72.3110.8, 128-bit bersion with its SP1.

Don't think I installed/deinstalled anything for a while.

The problematic explorer is the desktop explorer, not IE.

The scenario: A local directory has a bunch of pictures, bmp, jpeg, gif, tif, etc. Up until a little while ago, when I paused the mouse over one of the graphics and single-clicked on it, the explorer would display a thumbnail of the pix right there. All of a sudden the behavior changed to "no show." I've pressed about every widged gone through every dialogue box, etc., to return to pristine with pure unsuccess.

------------------
Dakkon

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
The basic questions.

What SP are you running?

What image software is/was installed?
What did you install or uninstall when you noticed it not working?

What build of IE 4/5 are you running?

I have NT4 server with SP3 and IE5 NO active desktop installed and I never got this to happen. The Wrkstn4 installed is sp5 with IE5 NO active desktop and again no single click image pop up.
I know how to hack the reg. to get the icon to equall the image put thats not what you are talking about, I think?

Take care,
Dakkon
Dakkon

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Dakkon »

Hey Allen,
Sounds identical to my machine.
Except I never had that cool feature!
I can't blame you for wanting it back!
What if any image software are you using?

I'll look through Tech net and see if it's there.

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 10-22-99).]
Dakkon

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Dakkon »

Paint Shop Pro
Which version?
I have it installed on a Win98se machine.
Photoshop 5.5 is on the workstation.
Server is barron of everything.
Thing is i also have ACDSee installed on those 2 machines so they may be a variable.
Tech net has turned nothing yet.
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Chuck.

Version 5. PSP is cool. I only do a few things with it, but I like it.

------------------
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 10-22-99).]
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

PSP

(Paint Shop Pro)

Visual c++ comes with IE. I may try to reload that ie just incase...

------------------
Dakkon

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Dakkon »

Hey Allen,
I finaly got the pic thing to happen.
Only required me to install Windows 2K
haha
ANd let me say this much for it.
IT really really S U C K S !!!!!!!!!!!!
No support for any removeable drives and still limited drivers for everything else.
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

I gave uo being a bata tester for Microsoft years ago. Remember Chicago? Opening screen with a sillouet (sp) of the city skyline build in. Then lockup time. Mutha, was that frustrating. Mo Mo!

Anyway, last week in the news, there were articles stating that some of the computer manufacturers were going to start shipping their PCs without window.

Here come LINUX...

And the new $300 PCs already advertised...

Homing back in on the discussion: The backup PC still does the Thumbnail thing; powered by a SCSI drive, it's =FAST=. Don't think it is graphic software that does it. It is either part of NT or an attachment when I loaded VC 6.0. I still lost it on this PC, maybe, just maybe because I loaded SP5. Royal pain in the ass because I posted the question on MSDN and got a response from MS to go somewhere else on their forum and repose the question. Life's too short for al that crapola. I just want to get these thumbnails back without spending my life searching under rocks.

Any clues? I really don't want to reload NT for this.

Tell me more about this memory hog called W2k. Sounds like NT when it was first introduced. Microsoft is getting high enough so a good strong gust of wind can topple them over because their support foundation is weakening... Lots of companies will not make the financial adjustment to go to W2k with all the bad rap about it so far.

They need an operating system that does only the internet and office and sell it for $199 because if they don't someone else is going to grab the market from them.

cya
<font color=green>
------------------
Allen at new website www.ury2k.com <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A>

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 10-31-99).]
Dakkon

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
And anyone else interested.

<center><font size="+2" color="Blue">Windows 2000</font>

<font size="-2">Reviewd by: Dakkon Release Date 02/2000 per Microsoft</font></center>

Target Machine:

Pentium Pro 180 w/64megs 5+6 Gig H.D.D.
Diamond Viper 330 Video Card 32x CD-Rom Intel EtherExpress Pro NIC (100MBps)
Pretty basic low end server

Task:

Install and configure Windows 2000 Advanced server

Results:

Bootable CD-Rom, Booted from CD followed instructions. DOES NOT UPGRADE !!! Image
You lose it all! Fairly straight forward GUI.
Answer a few questions(some confusing dialog boxes along the way)but it's M$. Reboot wait wait wait Continue loading wait wait wait. Looks way to much like 98 for me! Answer some more network questions, reboot. Wait wait wait wait wait 3:30 for a warm boot Finaly use it. but WAIT where did my hard drive go! 850 megs for a basic install!!! Oh heck that was painful on a 1.2 partion

User Interface:

It's 98 meets NT as promised Image
Cool fade in outs on the menus.<u> Every thing else was totaly different then NT and no where near 98</U>. Learning curve would be around 1-3 hours depending on skill set and needs. Things are in different places. DUN is now in accessories under comunication. Everything else was clumped into the accessories folder also :|

From a systems admin point:

NOT!! To much to administor,to many options,familar commands now burried in with other ones that you don't need to see or use. Lack of support for removable drives. Great support for SCSI and RAID stuff! Better Tape support too.
Excellent mirroring abilty didn't even notice it. Overall As a admin I just brought the shop up to NT 4 18 months ago at a great cost and still training people on it. Not likely to jump on this band wagon till 2002 or later. Reasons, Training,Support,Stability. RELIABLITY.

Home/SOHO user:

Why? I just shelled out $100+ for 98/98se upgrades. Works fine and does what I need.
Reasons, Paid $150 for 95 in 95 then another $100 for the 98 in 97 and now you want me to what! FORGET THAT! Plus least we forget 95B then 95B+ or a total of 3 MAJOR online upgrades to an OS in under 2 years. Hmmmm Redhat sounds a little better.

Overall:
Don't hold your breath! 98se is more then enough for homeusers/gamers. NT4 is excellent for hardcore users/servers. Wait a couple years and see the fall out. I can see a Redhat in the crystal ball. Hmmm a sign or just a omen?

Any questions? Please feel free to ask. This is just a breif overview.

Take care,
Dakkon
Dakkon

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
I re-installed NT with sp5 and the thumbnail thing works fine.
Viewing with the "View as web page" enabled.
Not broke yet so don't know.

Chuck
Allen M.

NT 4.0 Explorer

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Dakkon.

@$*$#! This is sure frustrating. It may require thgat I reload the os, but I am not looking forward to it.

<font color=blue>Wondows 2 0 0 0 (Wonder-windows)</font>

Target machine: Are you rich? If not send all your money for a new PC anyway.

Results: The MS tower continues to grow taller. I wonder if a good storm or just the plain decay of disinterest will cause disintegration?

User Interface: Does management know their programmers did this? Reads like a perscription to try LINUX whose parent has been around for many years.

System Admin: SP5 will probably be the last one. I think I'll go and have a six-pack.

SOHO: LINUX aka Redhat is free except for the packaging costs, and it IS UNIX. W98 is great for SOHO and NT4 is what you need for industrial applications.

We nead a leaner, meaner os to survive one more wave of the PC hardware tide.

Questions: How do I get my sw to run the way I want it to BEFORE I go off and do something totally different? Like get those thumnails up and running... Maybe IE5 with their cute operating screen?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”