Coppermine

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Coppermine

Post by Allen M. »

Anthony,

What do you know about the Coppermine? Am considering building either a Coppermine or an Athlon. The Athlon is much hotter (reputed that it can blow the doors off a dual-Pentium setup in some cases), but custom drivers are often required. If I chose the Coppermine I will put it on an ASUS dual Pentium SCSI motherboard.

The ASUS SCSI is a good board. The 300MHz PentiumII on an ASUS that I built serveral years ago barely outperforms my newer 450MHz IDE DELL, and might if I had more RAM on it.

Some of the boards are starting to come in with a built-in firewire port, but nothing I can get ahold of yet.

I already have dome my homework and know the basic specs, but am looking for your opinion.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com
Dakkon

Coppermine

Post by Dakkon »

Hey Allen,
My personel preference would be Althon. Big Brother inside is not my game. Asus is TOPS in the motherboard game in my book! The bench marks still show Athlons blowing Intels away and at lower costs. Key is the need for custom drivers thats a neg in any ones book. Most people don't have time to go searching for drivers every other day. Business and SOHO needs stick to the Coppermine, Gaming and surfing Athlon. Personaly I'm building a Intel machine for x-mas just so I can say i have one Image
Have fun,
Chuck

p.s.
Have you spent any time at Toms hardware?
Allen M.

Coppermine

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Chuck,

I am evaluating the two (Athlon vs. the Coppermine), and this week I am focusing my thoughts on the Coppermine.

The Coppermine is a 733 MHz Pentium-III EB based system. The EB is the chip that runs at 133 MHz FSB with a 256k of FULL-SPEED Level 2 Cache. The hottest motherboard for it right now is the Tyan 1857 motherboard. Another board is the new ABIT BE6 Rev-II in. Special high-speed memory is also required to take advantage of the 133 MHz FSB.

There is no ASUS baby for the Coppermine right now, which means no built-in SCSI, which I have an affinity for.

However the Athlon matches up with the ASUS MB with built-in SCSI. This may be the way to go for current optimum speed and. power.

Once I sort-out everything, I'll make a decision on which one to build into a new PC. Of course, Red-Hat must be on that PC too.

I have been over to Tom's and read his specs on the Coppermine. They were not on the 733 Monster, though.
<hr>
Big Brother? That is a BIG turn-off, even though you can turn it off.
<hr>
Are you back from Europe? How was your trip?
<hr>
ASIDE: My keyboard gave out a few weeks ago, and I picked-up an ACER infrared keyboard. Not Bad! If my vision was good enough, I could enter data into the PC from 30 feet away. AHA! Large-screen TV.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 11-25-99).]
Dakkon

Coppermine

Post by Dakkon »

Hi Allen,
Yep did my 20 days in Europe.
Very interesting to say the least.England was ok, it was there Veterans day MONTH they are VERY VERY supportive of them over there I mean VERY supportive makes me sick to see the way Americans treat them. Germany was KILLER first snow in 22.5 years! Ahhh snow ball fights and snow angels. But darn it gets cold too Image Only saw a couple dojos' and they where Taikwando (sorry poor spelling)Did read about a Akido dojo in the area i was staying in.
I'm aware you can "dis-able" the CPU ID on the Intels, but....
Europe is further along in Techno stuff then us in some areas,then other areas they are still 10 years behind. Really! Digital interactive TV is all over Cell phones are standard issue as they are cheaper to run then landline phones. But find a PC in a home is not to common. Cost on PC's are unreal. What we call accectable is around 900+ Pounds($1500)Software is high priced too.Acceptable PC is 400Mhz 6 gig HDD 32 megs cd floppy etc etc NO MONITOR. I know the shops i went into where floored when i asked for SCSI they just can't aford to look at that part of the catalog Image They did how ever have good prices on Memory though. Well jet lag is still playing havoc with me i need to try and re-adjust my clock again.
Regards,
Chuck

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”