Decisions, decisions...

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Gene DeMambro

Decisions, decisions...

Post by Gene DeMambro »

One vote for DSL. Thanx Tony!
Gene DeMambro

Decisions, decisions...

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Good Afternoon,

There comes a time in a person's life where it becomes necessary to make a monumental decision.

Paper or Plastic

Less Filling or Tastes Great

My decision is:

Cable Modem vs. DSL Connection.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I didn't use AOL, so that issue is moot.

Any help appreciated.

Gene
Dakkon

Decisions, decisions...

Post by Dakkon »

Gene,
Thats a good topic and a even harder choice.

DSL has a few draw backs;

1)High cost of installation,$199.95
2)High cost of activation, $99.95
3)You have to provide a DSL modem,$200*
4)Monthly service fee of $50-$100 depending on speed desired.
5)Limited service areas
6)No need for a second phone line

Cable Modem;
1) Moderate cost of installation $99.95
Includes cable modem
2)Monthly service fee of $40-$50
$40 if your a Cable cust. $50 if your not
3)More widely available
4)No need for the second phone line
5)Only National Tech support on the weekends

I'm scheduled for installation of cable on the 13th. the neighbor and 2 other friends have reported only 1 outage and that was due to a car wreck taking out a phone poll. No other problems. I live on the mainland so that may be a reason. Beachside is know for problems with services as the salt air kills things.

P.S.
All DSL statements are based on published Bellsouth rates.NO special rates as they are running a holiday special.
<A href="http://services.bellsouth.net/external/adsl/cost.html" target="_new">Bellsouth ADSL Cost</a>

*DSL modem cost is around $200 depends on what you want
All Cable modem statesments are based on personal knowledge.
Dakkon

Decisions, decisions...

Post by Dakkon »

Thank You Tony-San,
Yes Lets hope GEM jumps in this thread.
I'd do DSL over cable for the constant speed but we aren't scheduled to come on line for a LONG time. A Central Florida ISP is offering DSL.
mpinet.net Has a decent set up and CHEAP Image You get 1.5MB down 256KBps up and only $49.95 a month Catch is a 1 year contract and a small $100 install fee which includes modem.
Lets hope Brevard gets on the band wagon soon

Regards,
Chuck

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 12-01-99).]
RickLiebespach

Decisions, decisions...

Post by RickLiebespach »

Here's my two cents.

Cable Modem! Definately!

I have had better experience with RoadRunner than Anthony.

Maybe I should say had had - I discontinued it for financial reasons... $40/month
BTW - I think DSL is more than that.

In almost two years, only once was I ever without access....it was for a weekend. And my experience with their TS has been stellar! I've not encountered better!

We just went thru this decission at work. Here in Tampa, FL. we have access to both. However, GTE (DSL), has a screwy contract! It costs alot to get started and they have penalties for quiting (before your contract expires). Also, from what I've read, your DSL performance varies depending on your distance to the local substation....the further the slower.

Another consideration is ease of multiple connections thru the same modem...from what I've been reading it's easier with a cable modem...it an ordinary ethernet connection.

the downside is security but that can be helped with software...I've heard good things about something called black-ice.

Rick Liebespach

[This message has been edited by RickLiebespach (edited 12-01-99).]
gmattson
Site Admin

Decisions, decisions...

Post by gmattson »

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this question. I've researched the two options here in New England and found that DSL was the best deal. According to the experts, DSL also offers better overall service. (consistant speed, performance etc.)

I bought a package deal from a local supplier. Everything included (installation, modem + 1 free month) for about $45 a month. 416/208K req.& acc. speed. I signed up for two years, locking them into this price.

The downside is that my local tel company must do the installation and they aren't too happy about having to do this! Hence, I may be waiting until Feb for the service.

Although my deal may seem pretty good, knowing the internet industry, we will probably be getting the same service in a year for $19.95 a month, with five companies competing for our business. Right now, the customer has to be very careful. Know what you want, how fast you want it, then do your homework.

------------------
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Decisions, decisions...

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Thank you all for your input.

BellAtlantic won't offer DSL for another month or so in my town, so now is the perfect opportunity to research.

I read that the telephone industry had the technology for DSL for at least a decade, but didn't unveil it to the consumer until it came under intense competition by cable companies.

In the days now of free Interenet providers, I don't disbelieve Sensei Mattson's premonitions(sp)!

Gene
RickLiebespach

Decisions, decisions...

Post by RickLiebespach »

I just found out that I can get a discount on RoadRunner buy taking classes at my local university (USF - University of South Florida). It's a special deal USF worked out. So I'm signing up for classes and RR. Now I'll get to gloat again...you poor guys with DSL Image

Honestly, I hope things go well for you Sensei and please keep us informed.

------------------
Rick Liebespach
(Phone # upon request)
RickLiebespach@BigFoot.com
Brandon, FL
Brandon Okinawian Karate
Joe Guidry Sensei
RickLiebespach

Decisions, decisions...

Post by RickLiebespach »

People with current USF ID's (student/faculty/staff) and a current cable installation, pay $30/month instead of the usual $40/month

at least that's what the RR rep in the mall quoted me.

Rick

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”