DSL & other misc items

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Just finished reformating my computer for the 2nd time! While online, my computer again locked-up! Al is coming over Sat to have a look!

DSL installation should be completed Friday. Notice that I will need a Network Interface Card - Ethernet (also known as a 10-base-T or 10.100 Ethernet card)is a term I'm not familiar with. Anyone know where to get one of these puppies in a hurry?

Also, my new 3Com SDSL modem gives me the option to connect directly into my computer or into a Ethernet Hub! Where can I get a Hub? And with the Hub, can I hook both my laptop and desktop into the Hub?

Thanks for the info

------------------
GEM
Dakkon

DSL & other misc items

Post by Dakkon »

George,
From the sounds of it you need to get to CompUSA or Bestbuy and get a homenetwork starter kit. The name brand is honestly of no concern. They run from $50 to over $100 (my personal pref. is 3com) They normaly have 2 Network Interface Cards{NIC's} a 4-5port hub {port is what you plug into} and 2 lengths of cable(I'll avoid the lingo here as it can get long)driver disks for the NIC's ,instructions and maybe toll free tech support. Pretty basic and does everything you need!
Or you can just get the Network Interface Card. Ranges from $30-$150 Again any 10Mbps or even a 10/100Mbps card will work as the DSL modem only works at that speed(10Mbps). You will prob see a hugh array of N.I.C.'s don't sweet it!! Get a card you can afford. They are all basicly the same the name is what you are paying for here. I again prefer 3Com but they run $60 for a 10/100Mbps card which will work for you.
Ok now for the tuff answers to your homenetwork question.
Yes, you can plug the SDSL modem into a hub and run as many machines on the hub as it has ports. BUT you may not get Tech support for network set ups like this.
Yes, you can plug the laptop into the hub also BUT now you are getting into a PCMCIA* network card and thats $$$$ (unless this is a work machine and they let you take the whole thing home). Problem here maybe, at work you may connect through a PROXY server and at home you may not so you might have to change settings and this could lead to problems.
Let us go with this set up as an example:
Computers: Desktop Win 9x, Laptop Win 9x
Network: 5-port hub, 2 NIC's, SDSL-modem
You could do this;
SDSL modem into port 2 on hub
Desktop into port 3 on hub (install 1 NIC)
Laptop into port 4 on the hub ( PCMICA NIC)
*Note port numbers don't matter
Configure both machines to use the SDSL modem as instructed by ISP.
Pretty simple and straight forward
Next is a more complicated way(The hardway?)
Computers: Desktop Win 9x, Laptop Win 9x
Network: 5-port hub, 2 NIC's, SDSL-modem
You could do this;
Install/configure both NIC's in the desktop machine.
SDSL modem into NIC #1
Hub conects into NIC #2
Desktop NIC #2 into any port on the hub
Laptop into any port on the hub ( PCMICA NIC)
*Note port numbers don't matter
Configure the desktop to use the SDSL modem as instructed by ISP. Next thing depends on what Win9x you are running. You can configure the built in modem sharing in Win98 or get a popular connection sharing program called"WinGate". The options are up to you. For ease of use I strongly recomend the first method.
Any more questions feel free to ask
Chuck

*Don't ask me what it means (People Can't
Memorize Computer Indust. Acronyms)
A good site to check out for further info:
<A href="http://www.homepclan.com/" target="_new">Installing Your own Home Network</A>
A interesting site on computer network security:
How Secure are you?
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Will my laptop require an ethernet card? Not sure if it has the slots available.

Thanks for all your advice. Waiting to hear if Tony's last suggestion is best. But again, if my laptop (Susan's computer) needs a card, I may have to opt for something else, like another computer.

------------------
GEM
Dakkon

DSL & other misc items

Post by Dakkon »

Tony,
True that would also work but the cost is not lower and in some case it is as much as the old fashion way Image USB DOESN"T allow the simple USB cable connection as you are thinking, or at least from the USB networking stuff i've seen it don't.

George,
Need some information on your laptop.
First thing is does it have USB?
Second and most important is it running Windows 9X?
Third Does YOUR desktop have USB
Fourth and just as important Are YOU running Win 9x
If all four are true you can also try running this set up:
Install/configure ONE NIC in the desktop machine.
SDSL modem into NIC #1
Desktop USB port into USB port on the
Laptop {with proper USB cableing and software}. Then you can configure the built in modem sharing in Win98 or get a popular connection sharing program called "WinGate". The options are up to you.

On the laptop it is pretty much standard that the PCMCIA slots are on the right hand side toward the back. PCMCIA cards are about the size of a credit card. Most laptops can handle 2 cards at once. There are different standards of PCMCIA cards but that don't matter right now. Look in that area and see if you can find the slots. For now, take care and best wishes,
Chuck
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

Hey, Hey! Are youse guys looking to give me more work to do Saturday afternoon?

BTW, I picked up one of these inexpensive net starter sets with a hub for 79 bux. It never worked. After you go through the complete installation process you have to reinstall service pack 3 (or the latest) on n-machines, a long pain in the but process. I gave up on it, just don't have the time to play around.

I was at GEM's house Monday evening on another issue when the PC problem reared it's ugly head again, he is still having problems with it. From what I understand right now, when George inserted the whatever CD that came with his machine, it automatically set up his 2 gig HD into 4 partitions. If so, I can see that his C: partition is probably choking itself to death.

I am going over to set George's PC up as one hard disk partition under Win 98, and give him a 1.6 gigger that has been sitting around in my desk drawer just waiting for an opportunity to spring into useful service again. 1.6 is not big by today's standards, but it will almost double the capacity of his main PC.

I'd be surprised if George's main machine is equqipped with USBs because it is an older PC. Unfortunatly I have not played around with USB ports, because until recently they have wither worhed or not worked depending upon the whims of the motherboard attached to them. However USBs are the way to go with newer motherboards, and I've even seen one PC with a built-in firewire port.

BTW, Chuck, I got a beta Windows 2000. It seems pretty smoothe. I also upgraded, by necessity, Word 6 to Word 2000. That's not bad either, except for that stupid coy-looking paper clip with the mellon-shaped eyes that makes one want to call upon RACastinet's .45 to blow it away.
------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 12-10-99).]
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

I only have a couple of minutes before Dr. J. Aiello is schedule to do a radio interview with me. ..

However, last night I picked up a $30 WOL PCI Ethernet card. My desktop has two USB connections, although one is being used by another application. My laptop has one PCMCIA slot, which now is home to a 33k modem. Last night I checked and a ethernet card for the laptop is available for about $90. Probably uses this same slot.

gotta run.... thanks for all the help.

------------------
GEM
Dakkon

DSL & other misc items

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
LOL Sorry about that. Sounds like Tony and myself my have made your Saturday a little longer Image I too thought about shoting the paper clip, but I chose another helper and now can stand keeping him around. Image
2000 isn't to bad on the workstation lvl. Just they changed so much of the admin. stuff around it was weird to get used to it.
I've played with a Windows Millimum install same as 98se just a space hog base install at around 350-400megs! Image
Eww a restore CD that breaks a 2gig drive into 4 partions, that rings of the first 95.
That is more then likely 90% of the crash problems alone, there has been some many upgrades on the dial up side of 95.. A 500meg partion can bearly hold win95 and the swap file. That will cause some problems!
Tony,
Very true USB is plug-&-pray. Which works very well for most people. But those people with older machines don't have that ability and those of us running NT also don't have USB support for now. Granted there are USB cards out there, never used one never seen one in use and they may also present the IRQ/COM port conflict that most people will shot the machine over. Granted the NIC's can too :|
Like I said there is no simple answer to networking. Nor are the choices simple.
I tend to stay away from USB as a networking solution as the cost is still high ($160-$300+)and NT for now doesn't support USB.
What ever George and Allen settle on will work.
Have a good weekend,
Chuck
Dakkon

DSL & other misc items

Post by Dakkon »

George,Tony,Allen
Found a site of interest to all of us.
USB Stuff Online
If it's USB they have it!
Also a firewire site the same way.
Firewire Stuff Online
There is a PCMCIA->USB card. Cost is $99.
From the USB site above. Check it out atPCMCIA USB Card

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 12-10-99).]
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

Chuck,

USB and Firewire are definitely ahead for PCs.

FYI: MS Weird 2000 seems to have some bugs in it. While attempting to convert some files from Word 6 and Word 95, it told me I ran out of memory -- on a 128 meg machine w/plenty of HD space.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Hi all:
Well, my dsl is up and running. Not as fast as I thought it would be! However, beats the hell out 56k modems.

Al: Received you message about tomorrow, but could not reply to your email address. I was able to send out to other addresses, but got error on your's. Anyway, my class is over around 1pm and I should be home by 2pm. Is this ok with you?

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

By the time I saw this you are already at the Hut.

Not sure what is going on with my email reception, George. I have not been receiving my usual load lately. This includes the bulk of SPAM I get on a daily basis.

Chuck? Tony?

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

316kbps Tony! I think I'm supposed to get a bit more. They are working on it.

Al is at my home right now, tweaking my system!

Later

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

I tweaked his system, alright...

Still locks up right from boot time on occasion. Suspicious that the might need to go in and press on every IC, unplug and replug every connector. It feels like that kind of problem, or at least a problem one couls spend a lot of time dicking with sans results.

The only thing left to try is to repartition the hard drive -- not an option on Saturday -- and load the software onto the system, one item at the time.

There seem to be a lot of stuff hanging off the Centronics connector which requires drivers for. Every time the PC booted up a few unintelligible lines would spit out of the printer.

Pulled all the hardware off the back of the pc, but it still locked up solid once. Also locked up when I first installed the second hard drive. The motherboard has been replaced and is a year old.

------------------
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

I just noticed the time of my entry is obo. According to my clock it is now 3:56.

------------------
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

Even though you disconnected all the devices, there are drivers which still get loaded.

I suspect it may be time you started considering a little Christmas shopping at Dell or Gateway, or at www.PCSforeveryone.com (located in Cambridge, across the street from Lotus) for a new motherboard/CPU combo to put into your existing PC.

I has a PC once (Zeos), that had those sorts of problems. While it was still in warrantee, I replaced every single component except the case and it still spit the bed.
Zeos, near the end of my warantee did the right thing.

I said that, because you may (or may not -- do you feel lucky today?) have an unfixable pc too.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”