Windows 2000 to the (un)wise

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Just a note...

I started loading Windows 2000 beta today, and lo an behold! It was so kind to tell me that a number of drivers and software already on my system (including MacAfee)are incompatible with the new operating system and I might experience difficulties.

The option I selected was to abort the installation and remain with NT 4.0, real fast!

Ok, as a "lucky" beta tester the lesson came with no expense.

When Windows 2000 hits the street as a commercial product next year, just watch out for the "gotchas" and ask the right questions before you plunk your hard-earned plastic on the counter and say "I want one."

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Muhahahah beta rc2 build 2149 i'd bet Image
I did the full upgrade on NT 4sp4 Server with IIS4 and Proxy2 running. I always uninstall ANY viri protection during upgrades just saves tons of headaches!
Lo and behold i spent 8 hours just hunting down and doing the hot fixes to get Proxy back up and running. Then i suffered a worse fate no support for any zip or sparQ drives!
So needless to say 36 hours later a uninstall happened and back to NT4.
Lesson learned:
Wow there will a slight learning curve for system admins on Win 2000k
Wow how slow can M$ make something go!
heheh
Take care,
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

October 1999 beta2 from the MSDN.

Misery loves company, no? Sometimes, after being around these things I know when to back out. Gut feel and not scientific, but "he who fights and runs away..."

I'll stay with NT and service pack 6 until I can't use it any longer.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Aggred !!!
Been there, do it often Image
SP6 was shipped with a warning, or does the MSDN people get a little later/earlier release then the MCSE people? I read the warning and it was pretty much saying get SP6a and you are better off we admit we screwed this up

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”