Direct cable connection frustration

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Lori

Post by Lori »

Looking for some help getting some files off an old computer onto a newer one...

Computer 1 - HP Pavilion 486 with Windows 95 and a LOT of files I still need (data-not programs)

Computer 2 - HP Pavilion celeron with Windows 98

Tried Laplink first - (an old standby of mine) to use a direct cable connection - never had problems with computer 1 - connections with laptops and other computers... still working fine. Laplink on the new computer is installed fine as far as I can tell - the program loads - but the minute it senses the other computer on the com1 port the new computer locks up.

I've checked and re-checked the configuration of the ports, I'm not online when I start the program, and re-booted and re-installed the software. (re-booted again after that)

So - I switched to the direct cable connection via Windows. Ran the wizard. Set up the old computer as the host - the new one as the guest. Everything looked fine - then when I try to connect, they both get to the point where they are verifying username and password, then say that there is no connection present.

I checked and re-checked to make sure that there are no passwords required anywhere.

Any ideas? I'd really like to move this dinosaur off my desk and I don't feel like spending a week copying things onto diskette... I've got this nifty little serial cable that works so well on the old machine! Any way to make the new computer behave?

Thanks,
Lori
dictator

Post by dictator »

Hi Lori,

I know it sounds silly, but have you considered purchasing or borrowing an external ZIP drive? They can set up to the parallel port, are reasonably inexpensive, and much faster than diskettes and/or spending days messing with direct connections that you'll never use again.

Just a thought :-)
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Lori,
There is another way, Open both machines and transfer the old drive to the new machine and BOOM!!! Done and you also have a back up drive. Fast semi-easy and works every time.
Beats trying to figure out why things don't work and pulling you hair out. If not Zip drives work fine and SparQ drives hold 10x as much. Both of which I'd be willing to loan out. As for making the new machine behave it could be to many things.
just my 2 cents worth.
chuck
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Lori:

Hope your new computer didn't catch what my Toshiba has!!!

------------------
GEM
Lori

Post by Lori »

You know Sensei - after reading that thread you had going on your computer problems - I started getting REALLY nervous! I uninstalled laplink real quick like - I was getting all kinds of stupid lock-ups! Today things seem to be going ok so I hope it was some kind of software conflict. But last night was a bit hairy - I had everything from memory problems to booting into safe-mode - one time I even had a message that my himem.sys was gone! (it wasn't)

All seems to be ok now that the new software is history - I would still like to find an easy way to use the com1 port though... it used to be so EASY!

Peace,
Lori
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Lori,
If you really want to use the serial port, get a null-modem cable and go for the Hyperterminal. But do it just before you retire because it will take a while.
<hr>
George, Still having problems with your PC?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com
Lori

Post by Lori »

Thanks for the advice!

Dictator: I've been wanting a zip drive for a long time - I know they're not that pricey but other priorities keep taking bites out of my paycheck... I will definitely be getting one eventually - for now I wish I could just make the old standby technology work on all this new-fangled stuff!

Tony-san: Networking and file sharing - been there done that on both computers! I even set the folders I want to access through explorer. I can't understand why it worked so smoothly on the old machine... there seems to be some kind of conflict somewhere. I'm not too familiar with briefcase - I'll have to check into it.

Chuck: Now that's the easy way! Except that I need the other computer in another location - so I need to keep the hard drive in it. I'll email you about the zip drive! Thanks for the suggestions!

Peace,
Lori
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Lori,

Attach the old hard drive to the new computer long enough to transfer files over then put it back in the old machine.

------------------
Lori

Post by Lori »

Hi Allen-san,

Sounds good in theory - and again - in the "good old days" I wouldn't hesitate - but after my last HD crash I tried that piggy-back number and even though it worked, I had a nightmare of conflicts to wade through - seemed worse to than this cable debacle! With the new machine I'm really leery of more conflicts! Isn't there some kind of easy way with the stupid serial port? Isn't that what the damn thing is for? Or is it just a decoration these days - kind of like a floppy disk drive! Image

Peace,
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 12-17-99).]
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Tony,
Mission Failed!!! Image
We zipped disked it all over and the Machine died DEAD! Nothing, Frozen solid cold boot nothing. Had to do the emergency recovery option. Left at 3am after getting it most of the way back up and running. Lori is holding your CD hostage for coffee Image
I guess the HP curse and you are still in effect Image
Talk to you later,
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Lori,

Did you get a NEW PC?

I unexpectedly did some window shopping at a brand new COMP-USA store that jumped out of the ground a few miles from here on my way to Guitar Center.

COMP-USA here does not sell many different kinds of computers, but they DID have a COMPLETE line of H.P. Pavilions. Which model do you have?

The thing I noticed on them was HANDY was the location of one USB port and one RS-232 Com port right on the front panel. H.P. has been a good name in electronic equipment and calculators ever since I can remember, and these small indicators make me wonder if they are keeping on the leading edge of PC technology too. They also have a well-designed attractive smoked transluscent front cover.

I drove away from COMP-USA yesterday thinking that the Pavilion may be one of the better PC buys to be found at computer retail stores these days.

------------------

P.S. H.P. Curse? Reads like someone doesn't like H.P. PCs this morning...

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 12-19-99).]
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Good Morning All,
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image:
Image L O L !!!
ImageCoulnd't resist that one!
ImageNothing happened! Everything went fine,
ImageLori was impressed with the Zip drive
Imageenuff that she will be getting one ASAP Image
ImageDespite the problems Tony had with his U.S.B. CD-RW Image LOL
ImageIt will be a USB Zip Drive
ImageBut the hostage situation is still one craffe' of coffee for the cd.
ImageThat HP preformed perfect never complaining about the zip drive at all just slow as any parallel device makes any machine. 30 minutes to move 100megs is brutal slow!
ImageTony, we also installed everything and anything under FrontPage ???? no clue as I have yet to get to play with a real Front age enabled server.
Image The jig is up and all is well !!
Image Have a GOOD rest of Sunday !!!

Chuck

p.s.
Lori said i could post the other message Image
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Tony,
Word to the wise.
Avoid riping mp3's over the 128kbps 44khz ratio you get nothing more on the audio quality and only make the file size larger.
Yes the auto insert will haunt you on a CD-R drive. The only prob is you either have to go into a cd manualy to launch it or turn auto insert off when yo want to do deal with the cd-r drive and reboot a pain in the butt. I delt with the manual launches easier period. Do tons of test burns to the rw disk it's cheaper incase of mistakes Image plus you have to learn what works and doesn't. I'd recommend the following software:
EZ-CD Pro 95 (iso images)
CDR-Win (Bin/cue)
Fire Burner (bin/cue for the drives cdr win doesn't support)
Prassi ( will back-up what CDR-Win can't!)
and or EZ CD Creator 4.0
Seems like a lot of software and it is. Seems like you'd have conflicts? NOT these guys play together nicely and behave very well! I've used all of them in Win 9x and NT4 enviorments with no problems. Each does a different job very very well.
One word of warning is CeDraQuat(sorry SP)their software don't play nice with any one! If you install it and you have any Adaptec software installed YOU LOSE! Game Over no replay no rematch only reinstall Image
That's about it for now. Take care,
Chuck

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”