The Sticky Web

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

Best discoveries are sometimes done by accident, no?

Does anyone ever send email through Eudora using web page format? You can do some pretty slick stuff in this manner. I wonder how many other modern email apps can handle HTML code and how many Uechi Eudoraites there are out here?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Dakkon

The Sticky Web

Post by Dakkon »

Eudora Pro is now "Freeware" if you can tolerate the ads. Outlook 98 was free for a while.
I know AOL does HTML in their mail and news reader too.
Cheers,
Chuck
gmattson
Site Admin

The Sticky Web

Post by gmattson »

I just upgraded my Explorer to version 5.5 and Outlook was part of it. For free. Now that my computer is working, I'm using Explorer exclusively with Outlook. (Just a little uncomfortable though, when I hear all those hacker targeting Outlook with their viruses)

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

Get Eudora George.

------------------
Lori

The Sticky Web

Post by Lori »

I've been using Outlook with it's html formatting options for a couple years now - and maybe it's just habit but with the upgrades to office 2000 etc. I like it. Found one bug that I hope will be fixed soon - when creating a message in html or "rich text" then selecting the text and using the drop down box on the formatting bar to change the font - outlook crashes. This can be avoided by choosing "format: font." That's the only problem I've had - otherwise I like the organizational capacity of the program and how well it works with my other software. I tried Eudora for a short while before my HD crash earlier this year and also appreciated the well developed features of a serious mail program - but Outlook seems to compete very well from what I saw.

GEM: as for the targets with viruses etc. - If you have a good virus protection installed and don't execute attached files you should be ok - Tony and Chuck can reassure you more about the specific Outlook targets - it's not as bad as you might initially think.

-Lori
gmattson
Site Admin

The Sticky Web

Post by gmattson »

I don't open any attachments! Even if you know the person sending it, you can't be sure the person even realizes he/she sent it! Remember the last virus sent to everyone on a Uechi student's email list! Caught me! But because I wasn't using Outlook, it only screwed up my system a little, but didn't send out further messages. (At least I don't think so)

I also make it a point to send email in plain text only. Keep it simple!

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

Big difference between Outlook and Outlook Express, George.

Wonder if anyone is still using Lotus Notes.

No matter which emailer is in use, some sort of virus protection should always be waiting to pounce on unwanted invaders.

------------------
Dakkon

The Sticky Web

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Lotus is still alive and kicking!
The Gov't still uses it, I think IBM is a big supporter of it also.
Kennedy Space Center here just did a Lotus Notes Conversion from CC:Mail I Belive.
Some corporaions use Lotus Notes to manage their Exchange servers which run Outlook only.

Norton 2000 does a nice good of scanning mail! Agree on the attachment thing. I don't care who sent it, straight to the can if it's a .exe the others I can deal with.
As always best wishes this holiday season.
Chuck

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 12-27-99).]
Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

BTW, Chuck,
Correction: Transfer rates for Firewire drives advertise 400 mbit transfer rates as opposed to SCSI which are either 40 or 80 mbit. Seek time is in the teens, though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 12-27-99).]
Dakkon

The Sticky Web

Post by Dakkon »

Tony,
Macro"virus" as they are called have one major weekness. You have to enable and run them!
Sorry I have all my office appz set to ask before running ANY macro period. It may be anoyning but better safe then sorry. I can choose not run the macro look at it, then make make my mind up as to what to do with it. M$ offers a free "virus" scanner for macros. Plus they are very uncommon anymore as people have wised up to them for the most part.
Cheers,
Chuck
Dakkon

The Sticky Web

Post by Dakkon »

Tony,
True, that's a very caviler statement, and a very irresponsible statement on my behalf. I do apologize for that.
The threat is real (macros) and is out there. Most are very destructive as in formatting or deleting things.
In case anyone is wondering you can change the macro behavior in your Office Apps. so it has to ask before running them.
Again my apologies for misleading people into believing macro "viruses" are a joke they are NOT!

Chuck

------------------
ÐÅKkØÑ
M.C.S.E.
M.C.P.+I
Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

Chuck,

I'm sure you said they were a "joke" because you have them contained, under full control, then deleted into their grave. Maybe you can let us know how you identify and remove them, esp. Word macro viruses and email viruses.

I wonder how many forum readers would like to know how to have this control.

------------------

P.S.
meaning it may be a good idea to discuss how to identify and eradicate dangerous infections for the technically challenged among us.

Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

Are there not ways of investigating corrupted dot files as when you create a new document and a strange dot file you don't recognize appears?

------------------
Allen M.

The Sticky Web

Post by Allen M. »

That's an old one, and I think is what prompted MS to include a virus checker right inside Word. There was a time, a few years back when this macro virus would install itself as a template, with a name such as aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.dot or aaaaaaabbbbbbbccccc.dot, or something like that.

Use it and you loose it.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”