Time to Hiss or get off the Pit

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Chuck, Tony,

Locally in stock 733 Coppermine CPUs jist arrived for $886, the Tyan Trinity-400 1854 133 FSB board for $177, a 128 PC133 SDRAM stick for $219, and an adaptec 2940u2w ultrawide SCSI card for $239.

Instead of building a complete new system from scratch, I'll utilize the 300 MHz Pentium case, SCSI HD, SCSI CD re-writer, video, sound, and modem cards. The Jaz drive, ASUS SCSI MB and Jaz drive, I'll throw into the spare parts box.

There is no 733 Coppermine SCSI board available right now, and I'm not sure how long I'd need to hold out in order to get one although I do like the build-in SCSI option.

Looks like I'll acquire the parts sometime in January and rebuild it by the fireplace on a cold winter night.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Sounds like a fun night!
Just think the prices may drop a few dollars by January too!!
Asus has a PIII SCSI available. It's the P3C-S.The link is ASUS P3C-S Motherboard Sounds like it may fit you needs.
Also have you checked out http://www.pricewatch.com?
The Copermines are around $740 and memory is $132 even with S/H at $20 on either one thats a lot of money saved!almost enuff to get another 128megs,
Enjoy!
Chuck

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited 12-27-99).]
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Accessing that page as I write this note of thanx.

ASUS has a cool site.

------------------

Back! That MB is designed for the Internet, DVDs, graphics, on and on. Don't think you could find one of these MBs in a computer at Staples, do you?

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 12-27-99).]
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen
NOPE don't think so, thats a heavy duty mobo!
I don't think they could even order that one.
Have you ever been to a Market Pro Computer show? They travel all over the states and have decent prices, most of the time it's local and state wide vendors. Check out the web site at http://www.marketpro.com
As you might have guessed I'm into building machies as cost effecient as possible. I've (knocking on all forms of wood)never had a bad experince with mail order. Plus most will haggle with you to get the whole package. I've had a dealer drop memory $20 to get it on the motherboard. Plus they burn in the package before shipping!
Cheers,
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

The ASUS motherboard of desire, as far as my supplier of exotic PC components is concerned, is not on the market at this time.

I'm going to hold out for it, though, because that's the board to get.
I noticed Compaq 733s everywhere before xmas. Wonder if their 733 MBs are Compaq do-nothing slow proprietary sheets of fibreglass and copper.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”