Essentials

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Gene DeMambro

Essentials

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Good Morning:

I ask your opinion today:

My current system is a

Micron Millenia 233 MMX
64 Megs Ram
6.4 Gb HDD
32x CD-ROM
56 K Fax/Modem
3 1/2" Floppy/100Mb Zip Drive
2 USB Ports
HP 6L LaserJet
HP 2000C Color InkJet
HP 62?? Scanner

I bought it Sept. 1997.

Can you (collectively) recommend any enhancements/upgrades?

I like to Internet surf, and will actively begin scanning more and more of my photgraphs. For this I use M-Soft PictureIt! (which I don't really like). I don't really play any games.

Gracias,

Gene
Dakkon

Essentials

Post by Dakkon »

Gene,
That's a excellent set up! Agree with Tony should do the trick for a long time.
If you are going to get into Photo work the only upgrade I can recomend is PhotoShop5.5 .
Well worth the money.
Allen M.

Essentials

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Gene,

Paint Shop Pro is nice as well as inexpensive. In addition, you can download the complete version of Paint Shop Pro from their webside and use it free for 60 days before it vanishes. If you don't like it you have at least tried it out for two months. PSP is at www.jasc.com/

I like your system. Micron has a reputation for high quality and solid tech support.

Not sure what your OS is, but a WIN98 upgrade could be a respectable move, and definitely NOT the Word 2000 Office suite.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 12-30-99).]
Gene DeMambro

Essentials

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Good Morning,

I did spend a lot of money on the computer when I first got it. Little did I know that the prices would drop shortly thereafter. My old system was a 486 platform that really became inadequate, and I didn't want to put the dough into upgrades. So, I bought new.

Maybe a DSL line, and more memory. When I get better at astrophotography, I'll invest in a CCD camera, and be able to see photos real-time, instead of waiting to have them developed.

I REALLY like my scanner! I always wanted one, and got an HP 6200C (ADF and a slide-adapter). My color printer I got quite by accident. My brother worked at Staples, and for one week they offered "Employee Appreciation Days"-10% off anything. Well, my LaserJet just burnt-out (warrantee repair), and I needed a printer 'cause I was writing a paper for school. So, I bought a printer for Mom at work, one for her computer at home, and the Professional Quality HP 2000C for me! Now, all I need to do is add a second parrallel port, and I'm all set!

I really need to explore the capbilities more. I need to sit down with all the tutorials and books, and just go at it!

It's funny. 10 years ago, I was the computer guru at school. Everyone, including the CIS guys, would ask me advice. Now, I am completely lost, because I didn't keep up!

Gene

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”