Free xDSL ??

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Dakkon

Free xDSL ??

Post by Dakkon »

Ok,
I've seen the offer from two different companies. "FREE DSL" great catch phrase!
Tempting in the facce of $40-50+ Cable modem bills and $30-100 DSL bills.
But as we all know there is a catch right?
Sure there is! HAHAHAH Sorry,nothing is free on the `net :P
Just read a article on the "Free xDSL" services from CNN. Here is the linkHow FREE is FREE DSL?
Now Free DSL was the first I read about. As I suspected they want you to run a "Bar". That is a browser bar as they call it. Here is a link to what it looks like Browser Bar. Not to bad for free? Mmmm thats up to the individual. You can't hide it! It is a "always on top" item so that could get anoying Image You also have to buy the DSL modem unless you can refer 4 people that WILL SIGN UP! Not might sign up but will! Here is the link to the 13 Rules for a free modem.13 Rules. Now is it a deal? Hmmm maybe, maybe not?
Next one is iNYC FDSL
They also have the "Bar" but they have a worse catch! Image You have to click on the ads atleast 16 times a day to get free DSL or they credit the clicks against the $69.95 a month bill. Hmmm, I don't know about you but that is not my idea of fun! What about you?
Next up is it available in your area? That's a sore spot for some as the local Telco. won't make money on you so they may not be as fast to upgrade your service to allow DSL. Those with DSL available, do you want to give up your current DSL provider? They are fast, steady and always there when you call. Did you sign a 1 2 or 3 year contract to get free installation/modem?
Things are growing fast! Soon we will have free cars as long as they can be covered in ads like a NASCAR and we allow them to use GPS and tune our radios for us every so many minutes. What about that as you drive you get radio ads tailored to the area you are in. Mmmm could happen sooner then you think.
Matter fact that I'm patenting the idea! hehehe thats a great one!
Cheers,
Dakkon
gmattson
Site Admin

Free xDSL ??

Post by gmattson »

Someone sent me a 'request to signup for free DSL" last night. Since I'm already a subscriber, and a very happy one I might add, I figured to check it out.

As Chuck stated, there are lots of 'fine print'! However, there must be more than one company offering this service. The one I checked on requires that you get 10 people to sign up in order for you to get a free modem. The small 'browser bar' isn't a problem. It's only 1/2" wide and runs across your screen. But. . . you also get a huge and continuously running banner. Together, they take up at least 1/3rd of a page.

Unlike Chuck's selection, mine did not require any minimum clicks. You just have to watch the ads!!!

I don't know about you, but I sense that people will get upset with any option these free services offer. Someone will probably figure out a way to rid screens of these banners, which will probably kill advertiser's interest in the service.

As Chuck says: "You get what you pay for!"

------------------
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Free xDSL ??

Post by Gene DeMambro »

When AOL went to a flat rate a year or three back, it figured it would make up its money on advertising revenue. The catch is they needed enough people to justify its ad rates. Well, subscriptions and usage skyrocketed, and the rest is history.

PC Magazine warned us about free DSL a month or so ago. Their premonition has come true. A fellow jujitsu student loves his free e-mail and Internet, and doesn't mind the ad banner at all. Me? I can't stand it. That's why I love it when it isn't so busy at work - no one around and a free T3 connection!

Gene

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”