Blue Screen of Death

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Allen M. »

Ran the recommended Tyan motherboard patch and it blew the system tracks right off the master drive. Haven't been able to restore the system to it, just get the blue screen of death. Couldn't even reformat it nor repartition it through the NT install setup, just complained of corrupt system tracks. This is where Norton Ghost would have come in handy.

There is a piece of assembly language code that one can run from a dos box to poke directly into the hard disk to reset some stubborn bits to repair this problem. I used to have to poke a few memory locations on hard drives once to correct this problem, but that was a long time ago. Would you have access to this info?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Dakkon

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
I'm old fashion but not that old Image
I use Fdisk as it seems to work in 90% of the cases. If not Lowlevel formating works too.
Uh let me look and see what I can find.
PLaying with Win2K again (damn I never learn)
Cheers, and Tears
Dakkon
Allen M.

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Allen M. »

I am a little confused about some of the specs I recently studied. Last week, The FCAL drive spec I read stated a much faster drive than the chart below portrays. Now, after reading the below, I am interested in SCSI-3. IBM seems to make the hottest drives with their Ultrastar series. Wonder where I can get a SCSI-3 card to drive one. Any ideas, Chuck?
<hr>
<hr>
------------------

PS I look at the date of the edit, January 23, 2000. It looks like a date out of a science fiction magazine. Man we sure have come far in the technology end of life in the past few years. I remember when my parents bought their first TV, a little black and white thing with a few VHF channels -- and they said they had reached the max that science could go. Next thing you know, someone'll be setting foot on Mars or Venus to establish a colony-- maybe sooner than we think if we keep destroying the planet, or if the planet continues to heat up at an accelerated pace. Noa's Arc of the 21's century will look different than the last one and won't be constructed out of wood for interplanetary transportation.

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited January 23, 2000).]
Allen M.

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Allen M. »

Thanks for the tip, Chuck. I've been pushing this new 733 to the limits over the weekend, and it is clear that the bottleneck is the I/O, where it usually is, anyway. I'm going to go for the Adaptec 39160 SCSI Card. A few bux extra now will save money in the long run.

Did you get a chance to go to the 'fest?
Dakkon

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Good choice in SCSI cards!
Thought about going,things are still tight so I opted to stay home and do yard/housework ewwww would have rather went to Winterfest Image
Cheers and Many fast disk drives!
Dakkon
Dakkon

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Try the best company out there for SCSI cards,Adaptec (IMHO).
Here is the link to Adaptecs web site http://www.adaptec.com/products/overview/ultra160scsi.html
They have the following Adaptec cards that can do SCSI 160 Card name: 39160, 29160, 29160N and 19160.
The 29160 is around $200
The 39160 is around $235
The 19160 is around $??? unable to price
The 29160n is around $267(Macintosh)
The prices all reflect the lowest price available from Pricewatch.com on Sunday Jan.23
Allen M.

Blue Screen of Death

Post by Allen M. »

Still trying to locate an ASUSP3C-S mother. It has the 160 built in.

One of the most confusing things to many are the conflicting SCSI standards, such as SCSI-1,SCSI-2,SCSI-3,Wide SCSI, Ultra Wide SCSI, Ultra Wide 2... and the list goes on.

One must read the fine print. I smiled and reached for a SCSI-3 card at Best Buy over the weekend. Reading the fine print on the back indicated file transfers of 20MBps. Slow by even EIDE standards

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”