Need Help Locating Big Barracuda

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Chuck,

Got the Adaptec 39160 in the mail today.

Decided on a fisn, but all the SCSI Barracudas I found on the net so far are SCSI-2.

There is one that I want. Either ST318436LCV or the ST318436LWV. They have 4meg caches, almost as if they were designed for doing music composition.

I'll take the 10,000 RPM ones if I can't find either of these, but the search on the internet so far has been fruitless. Maybe you know some paths I haven't been before.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
You ask and so you will receive.
Http://www.buymicro.com had the following: 18.4GB ULTRA160 SCSI 3.5LP 7200RPM BARRACUDA18XL 4MBCAC 80PIN [BuyMicro: 432822] [Manuf: ST318436LCV] [ 2.4lbs.]
Found that via a search using the ST318436LCV as a keyword did the other and turned this:
18.4GB ULTRA160 SCSI 3.5LP 7200RPM BARRACUDA 18XL 4MBCAC 68-PIN [BuyMicro: 432820]
[Manuf: ST318436LWV]
Both are $492 + s/h

Cheers!
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Chuck,

I got tired of looking under empty stones, finally broke down and called Seagate. The salesman there was quite competent and we had a little technical discussion about SCSI drives. To make a long story short, the Barracudas I want don't exist yet! He says they are the SUPER drives, the drives to die for, but they won't be shipping until March.

There are a few places that have been advertising on the web concerning the drive I selected. My Seagate liason says the ads are vapor, as he keeps his ears to all the “best buys dot com” websites and knows pretty much what's out there (talk about a company monitoring the heartbeat). According to him, there are a few of the 233LWVs out there, but they are an earlier drive.

Learned a little more. One doesn’t realize the full speed until there are 4, 5, or even 6 drives on the chain. According to him, to meet my needs if I want the speed, I should get quad 9s. This Adaptec card will support 30 devices on a chain. He leaned me into the direction of the 10,000 RPM Cheetah drives, and said they were 30% faster – has more to do than with just the increase in spindle speed. The FCAL drives are for large server applications, hundreds of gigabytes. The driver cards are several thousands of dollars each.

Speaking about early/modern, I thought I read in one of the manuals that the Adaptec card is a 64-bit PCI card. The edge connector is HUGE, and half of it runs right off the edge of the PCI connector. It looks like this is a SCSI card for the future, because I don’t think they make motherboards with a PCI card with all those pins.

------------------
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Yes Vaporhardware is common on new technology Image
You know its almost worse then software Image
Mmmmm He sounds like a good salesman. 4 9gig 10k RPM drive would be fast, 2 for working data and 2 for writing too kinda like a raid. Only thing is you will move into the external drive realm now. The power requirments alone for the drives would almost kill an atx supply, then you need the fans to help cool them. I at one time went on a hunt for a case that could support a simular set up. I found a server case at a computer dealer that could handle 6 5.25" devices and 3 3.5" only thing is they where proud of that case! They thought it was worth $250. That was cheaper then the external cases for drives though. I'll contact one other source and see what type of information i can get from them.
Uh yeah the FCAL read as a SAN drive more then a personal drive, but still we can dream. I still want 1gig of ram and 512gigs of drives along with a DVD burner and a 32x CD-R drive all the drives are SCSI with 1gig cache on the card with Raid 0+1 Ahhh win a couple lotterys and i may be able to have it Image
I'll post more later on the external setup,
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

You are on your way to controlling the world if you get all the disk space and speed you want, Chuck.

Why not get a cheap case with a 300 watt power supply in it.

A few years ago they were going to ROM DOS.

------------------
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

The ATX case won't work because of the way the atx power supply works. It's weird.
Now an AT case may work because it's a little less advanced (WOL/Sleep/WOR) features.
The cooling is my concern due to the high spindle speeds and number of units.
ROM based DOS Hmmm that's the AMIGA kickstart and workbench on a chip. Ahhh the good ole' days..... I think Apple does the same.
Take care,
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Not able to get a new, yet to be real, Barracuda Ultra160, I placed and order, just before class, for a SEAGATE Cheetah, ST318203LWV: 18.20GB SCSI ULTRA2 LVD WIDE 3.5LP 5.7MS 4MB CACHE AV.

I wanted the large cache, and seems only Seagate makes them that large.

I think the LVD means differential voltage where there is no ground. In a differential voltage, one line goes to a positive voltage, the other line goes the same magnitude in the negative direction. Because of this, any noise on the ground plane nulls itself out to zero, making a more quieter (in terms of signal) drive.

In terms of cooling, I have this cute little 5-1/4 front panel adapter with 2 fans in the front to circulate air over a hard drive mounted in it.

What is needed is a 3-1/2 R/W CDROM -- or betteryet a 3-1/2 R/W DVD, then, floppies can be obsoleted forever.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited February 01, 2000).]
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
I've seen the blank mini disks which any standard CD-r/w drive should handle.
I think they where in the area of 200megs which is more then enuff for most apps on the market. I picked up some and played with them nice but acceptice for them is very limited. Works great for demo CDs to clubs promoters etc etc Small different and holds a couple demo songs.
Good luck on that drive!
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Way back when, 3-1/2 floppies almost didn't make it, and 5-1/4 remained part of the system for a while.

There are too many options for "Drive A:" right now to prevent current technology to take a foothold and say "instead of the 1.4 Meg floppy your little drive will be a 1.4 Gig floppy.

IBM was experimenting with miniature 330 Meg hard drives for cameras and stuff. If they make things like 50Gig 3-1/3 hard drives (I saw an 80 IDE somewheres in my SCSI search), it sure seems possible to deliver a 5Gig in an inexpensive portable package.

Resellers of PCs still cram crippleware down the throat of the consumer and prosumer alike. Comp USA can't even give the little floppies away ($20.00 - $30.00 instant rebate), and Zip disks remain too expensive. The best these days is the R/W CDROM. for less than 2 bux you can have 650 Meg storage. Need to shrink them so they fit in the smaller bays.

------------------
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Dont't we know it!
I think the cheapest I've seen zip disks at was 3pk for $40.
now you want $$$$$ Look at the cost of a JAZZ cartridge I've a 1gig SparQ thats almost as costly as the Jazz. Reason I have it is I can to to a place 1 gig in hand and do what I need come home burn 2 cd's off that one cartridge. Sadly Windows 2000 doesn't support removeable drives all that well so I'm now forced to maintin a legecy system for them(Win98se) Whats worry me is Windows ME may drop the support also. I can't see me getting USB -> Parralell adaptor to make a OS happy
Cheers,
Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Thanks for the tip. I was about to downgrade to Windows 2000 when the new disk arrives.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”