Formatting The Hard Drive Blues...

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Ever find your computer acts strange and no one can figure out why? Well, why not do what I did. Reformat the Hard Drive. Why? Because misery loves company Image.

First a little history. My humongous 4 gb hard drive kept telling me I was out of disk space when I knew I had like 1.85 gb left. Especially after I kept backing up items onto cd's just to make more room. Needless to say, I was attempting to put together what I think is an awsome little video clip. But to do so I have to save all the components of the clip uncompressed for quality purposes. These, when put all together for the final product is when I use compression. Well, I couldn't save anything. Something was wrong with my Sony PCV130. (This is important to remember in this little story)

Now, I ran Dr Solomons Anti-virus, Norton Utilities (which always told me my boot sector is reporting an error causing incorrect reading of disk space - which - I always fixed (so I thought) yet always was there when I ran disk doctor), defragged, optimized registry and swap file, etc...

So, I decided to just format the whole damn drive and start from scratch. I should be able to do this 1 to 2 nights tops. Yeah Right!

Here are some of the lessons I've either learned as I went along or I just knew to do. YOU figure out which one was which.

Step one: Back everything up. I mean everything. You never know.

Step two: Tell wife you will be very busy every night (and weekend) and that for the next "week" you will reluctantly experiment with the symptoms of PMS so she should understand your mood swings and just leave you alone.

Step 3: Mind altering drugs!! (only kidding - ??)

Step 4: Don't get too obsessed. Get to bed before 1:30 am when you have to get up at 5:45 in the morning. Your co-wrokers will appreciate it.

Step 5: Don't try and workout in the same room as your computer when you think you have the time while you are downloading and/or installing updates. You will have very crappy workouts because you will be trying to do computer stuff in between sets and routines. You will most likely find yourself saying "Nahhh, I just can't get motivated today, I might as well get this thing working".

Step 6: Learn that if you own a name brand computer built specifically for that brand (ie: Sony) that the drivers on your video card's website (in my case ATI) or on the windows 98 SE CD may not be compatible with the original files that came with your W95 rev a. Go to your PC's mfr website first. Do this especillay if you can't get your video capture device to work.

Well this morning I finally got my Capture device to work. My programs are loading faster and my swap file went from 66 megs at bootup to around 28 at bootup. My biggest concern was getting my video drivers correct. It was a major pain in the ass.

I believe my problems stemmed from too many programs and upgrades going into and off of my computer since I owned it. It came with W95 rev A. I upgraded it to W95 B. Then I upgraded it to 98, then again to 98 SE. My Windows\system folder alone was 0ver 200 Megs of crap before the format.

Another lesson I learned - keep track of what you load and unload. Not everything comes off your computer when you uninstall. Even if you do it correctly. I believe all the different dll versions that get put on your machine from all different kinds of programs will eventually conflict somewhere along the line with other apps.

Another lesson learned: KNOW that it will be time consuming putting stuff back. The drive formats in a heartbeat. It's a heartache getting it back to function the way you want it to.

Well, I thought I'd share my "FUN WEEK WITH WITH HARD DRIVE FORMATTING". I am back on line and ready to go for the most part. (Knock wood)

Scott

------------------
The Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Martial Arts Of Long Island
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Been there. . . done that!! Image

Good to have you back Scott.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Sounds like you have been doing much surfing without cleaning out your Internet Folder, Scott. If you didn't partition your 4 Gig monster, and used FAT, then you have super-large cluster sizes. Either 32,000 or 64,000 bytes for evan a 1-byte file.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited February 06, 2000).]
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

George,
Good to be back! Image

Allen,
Actually, I was always cleanng that folder out and the windows/temp file. I think 4 gb is wee bit too small to partition. The video files I make before compression are quit huge. If I had the cash/means/credit/wife who would allow me, I'd get the new Sony 600 PIII made espically for doing videos. The last time I looked at one it had a 17 gig. But I would also like to add a SCSI 2 with 10,000 rpm to it. I want to do full screen TV production quality stuff.

Oh well.
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

What OS are you using, Scott?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Scott,
I do a full format every 3-6 months.
I too had 200-300meg win98 directories. Slow preformance. Weird things happen. Win 98se is the pretest grounds before the software moves to NT or 2000.
I use NovaDisk to make the reinstall instant.
Takes about 10minutes to recover that way.
Cheers, and welcome to the club!
Chuck
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Allen,

I am using Win98SE. All is finally fine now. My main concern was doing video capture and production. Took a while to get the right drivers back in.

Chuck,
How does Novadisk work? Better yet, what is it? 10 minutes seems really fast. Does it put back all the proper drivers but still get rid of the old junk not needed?

Scott
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Scott,
Nova Disk a great back up tool. I've used it for a couple years now. Check it out at Nova Disk It's GREAT, SIMPLE and fast!
How I use it is as follows:
1.)Format the C drive
2.)Install everyting ESENTIAL to make it run Drivers,software etc etc.
3.) Run Nova Disk do a full back up(a CD holds 650~) back it up to a hard drive first then CD and done!(you can span multi zip disks too, or tape drive)
Keep in mind you don't want to back up the Temp,documents dir. I can get a Full 98se with a FULL Office 2000 Premimum,Photoshop 5.5 and Homesite,Dreamweaver,some other stuff at around 600megs. Nova disk will make 3 disks to boot from. You can tell it during the boot process where the backup image is and it goes from there. 1 reboot and you back up and running! Everything is there and you are running full steam. I store works in progress on anything but the C drive.
Hope this helpped clear things up a little.
Cheers,
Chuck
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Chuck,

Thanks, It helps immensly. I will check out that site tonight. I don't plan on formatting though anytime soon. I am still getting some weird quirks here and there. But for the most part so far, I am up and running.

Scott

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”