Infospeed DSL

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Van Canna

Infospeed DSL

Post by Van Canna »

Tony/Dakkon,

Bell Atlantic is advertising speed up to 126x faster than 56k modem for $49.95 a month with $99.00 for a DSL modem!

What is your opinion? Better way to go than road runner?

------------------
Van Canna
gmattson
Site Admin

Infospeed DSL

Post by gmattson »

I signed a two year contract to lock in a $39 a month price. (Plus a free month and free modem and free installation!) The gamble, in this case, paid off. Prices have gone up and the DSL companys are charging $90 for installation and modem.

Nothing could have been worse than regular modem access. My DSL is not as fast as advertised, but still very, very fast.

------------------
GEM
Dakkon

Infospeed DSL

Post by Dakkon »

Van Canna,
Yes, BUT make sure they don't get you in a contract for x months. DSL is a dedicated circut so you will always get the speed advertised. Cable you share the circut so you get peaks and valleys.
I've heard horror stories on both camps(DSL/cable) but DSL is a little more stable it seems. Enjoy the whiplash if you get it!
Cheers,
Chuck

p.s.
28 times faster then a 56k modem is almost a T-1
Van Canna

Infospeed DSL

Post by Van Canna »

GEM-sensei

Which DSL did you subscribe to?
How fast is fast??

------------------
Van Canna
gmattson
Site Admin

Infospeed DSL

Post by gmattson »

the url is http://www.Flashcom.com Van.

I just looked them up and the special is still running!!! The speed is 640k/90k, but I don't actually get that.

------------------
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Infospeed DSL

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I use BellAtlantic for my dial-up service. Despite their adds to the contrary, I've been waiting for 9 months for them to offer DSL service in Weymouth, Van-Sensei. Every time I check availablility, they say it'll be available in less than six months. I've also found only 2 other DSL providers that service my area, Covad and Flashcom.

I was wondering if someone could explain what the two different numbers in GEM-Sensei's speed quote of " 640K/90K " mean? Does it mean download/upload speed?

Gene
Dakkon

Infospeed DSL

Post by Dakkon »

Gene,
Correct "640/90kBps" is 640kBps download and 90kBps is upload.
Most 56kBps modems get 3.6kBps uploading and 5kBps download.
On Road Runner I see about 140 kBps download steady 40-50 kBps upload and 1.1mBps surfin' speed.
Cheers,
Chuck

p.s.
Have you checked with www.freedsl.com to see if they are available in your area

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”