Timestamp

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Valkenar

Timestamp

Post by Valkenar »

I'm still not sure how possible it is to request features here, but to the extent it's possible, could the complete timestamps be shown next to the threads in the "todays active topics" forum? It looks like there's plenty of space next to the subject for a simple hh:mm:ss format. On a similar, but more complicated note, a "topics active since last visit" list would be cool. Also, somebody please give me the scoop on whether it's reasonable to suggest new features here or not, I don't mean to be rude and demanding.
Scott Danziger

Timestamp

Post by Scott Danziger »

Well, speaking strictly for myself, and not GEM who owns this site, the features you are requesting could probably be modified into the code. What you see here is the stock program except for some minor things put in like the graphics.

There is a newer version probably coming soon. I have yet to see what it contains.

On another note, I think, in my opinion, that the less done to the cgi code the better. The forums have been running pretty smoothly for the most part and I see no reason to fix something that ain't broke.

Also, the topics with the yellow lightbulbs are the topics that have been active since your last visit. The timestamp already in use seems good enough to me. Why do you want a change?

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Uechi-Ryu.Com Streaming Video & Audio
The Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited March 30, 2001).]
Valkenar

Timestamp

Post by Valkenar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Danziger:
The forums have been running pretty smoothly for the most part and I see no reason to fix something that ain't broke.
The timestamp already in use seems good enough to me. Why do you want a change?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's good, but I think that it could be better that's all. Perhaps my assumption was poor, but I figured it could be done one of two ways, depending on where the current last posted topic date is coming from. If the system pulls the date off of the last message in the thread, then it could just pull the entire time stamp off. If it's storing the last posted message's date in a seperate table, it could just put the entire time stamp in. If it's more complicated than that, it's probably not worth it. But if it were simple, then why not?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Also, the topics with the yellow lightbulbs are the topics that have been active since your last visit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the "today's active topics" you're saying? The link on the left above the list of forums when you go to the forum home page? I don't see any lightbulbs there, even when there are topics... I see the lightbulbs next to the forum names, and upon entering the forums the colored folders, but there are no lightbulbs next to the today's active topics. If there were, that would be a fine solution as well.
Scott Danziger

Timestamp

Post by Scott Danziger »

Y'know, all these years and I never use that function. I go straight to see what bulbs a lit to know what's new since last on.

Let's see what the new version will look like. Then we'll ask GEM. I'm sure I can make minor mods to the code without screwing anything up.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”